Author Topic: WWl , Church Commemoration.  (Read 1600 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: WWl , Church Commemoration.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Laurence Binyon "For the Fallen" - has the stanza beginning "They shall not grow old"

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thankyou,——-“age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.”
I honestly only knew that from words spoken at the Remembrance service.
Did Binyon serve at the front ?
I have really only read the poems of those I knew that did,in the context of war poetry.
A lovely,if that is the appropriate word,anthology is Anthem for Doomed Youth,the collected works of twelve soldier poets:- Brooke,Grenfell, Sorley,Ledwidge,Sassoon,.Graves,Owen,Blunden,Thomas,
Gurney,Rosenberg,Jones.
It is so heartbreaking,such a waste and such a betrayal of high ideals.
I keep saying that all we can do is to remember,and so many kind people are making great efforts to ensure that at this very special anniversary.
Nice “talking “ to you.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Another possible idea for the Commemorations at Church .. after the two minute silence the children in the Church could be given bells to ring out the 'Peace'. (Hand bells/chimes etc)

I have heard that Church bells are going to ring out right across the nation on remembrance Sunday and I think this might be a good way of getting children to participate.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Laurence Binyon "For the Fallen" - has the stanza beginning "They shall not grow old"

Isn’t it ‘They shall grow not old’ ?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 October 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is,I don’t have a copy but remember that from the Armistice day service.

The Sunday school children do come into church at  the end of morning service to explain and show what they have been doing in S. School .
I will mention to the person who takes  Sunday school but the S,School
room is a sectioned off part of church and on occasions like11th November
it serves as an overflow area as the church is full .
 Not sure given the young ages of some of the children what people feel is
appropriate,but perhaps they could do the baubles for that service as that is
 something they would like to do I am sure.  Not Nov 11th I know but a
special time and if we don’t get the descendants of those men who did not get home I think the children would be a lovely idea and another generation
will perhaps in the future continue to remember.
Thanks everyone .
Viktoria.

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 October 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Not our church,although we will have a service of Remberance,there is going to be a piece of holographic art work here in Exeter on November 10th until dawn on the 11th. On the side of the Cathedral will be a soldier at rest and on one of the shops there will be a young woman looking towards Central Station waiting for her sweetheart. It was good to see the shrouds again,the artist comes from Somerset and they were displayed here originally.
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I have not heard of the shrouds until a day or so ago.
What a effective and heartbreaking way to remember the men who have no known grave and indeed all who died and also any man who served.
Spoke with the Sunday school lady this morning at our coffee morning ,she thought the children putting the baubles on the special tree was a lovely idea.
Will keep you posted.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 October 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
http://oldlowlight.co.uk/exhibition-100-hearts-war-stories-3rd-october-to-30th-november/

Perhaps if there are some creative people in your Church they could make some individual items in commemoration for the display.

This link shows a most beautiful textile heart.  I have just posted about this now - I must go to see this exhibition as soon as I can!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 October 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Now there is something going on in Ramsbottom called ”Rammy  rocks”,
people leave decorated pebbles in nor very well hidden places for others to find and either place somewhere else or keep if they wish.It involves many teenagers,and if we get the names of the men from Ramsbottom and put it on the Facebook page for Ramsbottom and the pebbles decorated suitably and with a name on each one.no matter if there are far too many.
Not as pretty as your hearts but something already going on which can be adapted very easily given shortage of time.
If the pebbles were left at places  where those men would have regularly walked,churches,chapels,shops ,pubs ,main streets etc it would bring them into eveyone’s minds,possibly poppies would be the best and most  poignant decoration.
Once again something for S.School but also the wider community and especially teenagers. We will be able to get the names from the British Legion and perhaps liase with schools.
Brilliant,you are all such clever people.
Viktoria.