Author Topic: Evening Chronicle look- James Sinclair death notice  (Read 1711 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evening Chronicle look- James Sinclair death notice
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
I know I have asked a lot recently, but this time frame is not in the online database and I've been searching for this man for a long time.

I have found a burial entry Saltwell Cemetery, for a James Sinclair, burial date 1st April 1925, which ticks boxes for age (65) occupation (blacksmiths striker) and location Gateshead.
If anyone is at the library and has time to look to see IF there is a death notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle I would really appreciate knowing what it says.
No rush its just something on a long list of things I don't yet know :-)

Thanks

Boo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Evening Chronicle look- James Sinclair death notice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
You have posted on the Northumberland board but Gateshead is in Durham.  Does the Chronicle cover both counties?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
Is this the James Sinclair b Dunston Durham - parents John & Grace?  If so - back in 2010 somebody has notified an 1861 and 1871 correction showing the family surname is Tinkler??

Both 1861 and 1871 entry shows James as James T Sinclair

John Sinclair married Grace Thompson 1854 but there is a Dec 1859 birth reg in Gateshead of a James Thompson Tinkler  mmn Thompson

There is an 1855 marriage in Stockton with a John Tinkler and Mary Thompson on the same page but in 1861 they do not have a son James

James Sinclair married Henrietta Taylor June 1882 and the 1891 shows him as James T Sinclair

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
You have posted on the Northumberland board but Gateshead is in Durham.  Does the Chronicle cover both counties?

Yes, thanks,  it does. The Newcastle Evening Chronicle was the newspaper which covered a very wide area. It was the newspaper of choice in which to post BMD notices for certainly the northern part of Durham (which includes Gateshead) and a large area of Northumberland. As the only source I know of for microfilm copies is at Newcastle Central Library I chose to post on the Northumberland board, which has always furnished results in the past. I am only asking for a newspaper look up, I don't need any other information which could be classed as specific to any county.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is the man I have been looking for a death for. I have him documented up to 1911.
The family name has morphed over the years, James was the only one of 8 children to have  Tinkler as a surname on his birth registration, the others were all registered as Sinclair.

I know of James' marriage to Henrietta, they married at the registry office in Gateshead on 7th May 1882. They had five children, of which only two survived to adulthood.
By 1901 Henrietta had left him and was elsewhere in Gateshead, with her daughter (her son was not with his father either but boarding elsewhere).
The reason I have been looking so long for a death for James is that Henrietta went to live in Essex with her son and daughter and is recorded in 1911 as the 'wife' of another man. She married that man on 27th September 1916 at the West Ham register office and she 'said' she was a widow. I assumed that if they'd waited that long she must have had word that he had died - though its possible she just fibbed!
I tried for a long time to find a death for James between 1911, when he was living with his brother John in Gateshead, and 1916, when Henrietta re-married, but have failed.

This burial record I have found , though long after Henrietta married, is the nearest 'possible' I have found. It has no middle name (but neither did his marriage certificate) and IF there is a death notice and someone who is at the library is able to look it up for me that may help to confirm or discount it.
Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Boo I have checked the Evening Chronicle and the Newcastle Journal and unfortunately there are no death notices for him in either newspaper.  I tried to look for a possible memoriam the following year but there is a gap in the microfilms. :-\

I looked under Sinclair and Tinkler.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at deaths from 1911 onwards the 1925 one does seem by far the likeliest. 

Some deaths in Durham with birthyears within a year or 2 but they can all be tracked back to the 1911

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks RTL, it was a long shot and I appreciate you taking the time to check it for me.

I'd have been extremely surprised to see anything to do with this man coming up with the surname Tinkler but thanks for checking anyway.

I've sent for the death register entry which should arrive by the end of this week. Death certs are sometimes not as helpful as we would hope, unless a known family member registered the death or he died at a recognisable address, but I live in hope :-)

It 'feels' right, but I can't document feelings, so I'll wait for the death record and then see what I need to do from there.

Thanks again

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Is this the James Sinclair b Dunston Durham - parents John & Grace?  If so - back in 2010 somebody has notified an 1861 and 1871 correction showing the family surname is Tinkler??

Its taken me a while to find where that correction was notified, but I now see its on Ancestry. The image for 1861 clearly says 'Sincler', 1871 image clearly says Sinclair.
I do wish Ancestry would follow the FindMyPast model of submitting a correction, with your reasons for doing so, to be checked and considered before an amendment is made. The system used on Ancestry is akin to the old 'user submitted' entries on the IGI, though they may well be correct, there was no source quoted, no explanation, nothing verifiable or checkable.

If the 'correction' had said that though the online transcription of the surname matches the image, James' birth (not those of the other children, who were registered as Sinclair) was 'registered' as James Thompson Tinkler, that would have been a lot more useful/informative.

Boo