Author Topic: William higginbotham  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Diarmuidgannon1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William higginbotham
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 October 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Yes all information regarding william Jr and Sarah is correct but I need to look at  a marriage in wexford 1853 that may be william jr father .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 October 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
This looks like William + 2 sons on 1901 census.
Trimmer's Lane West (Wexford Urban, Wexford)
William Higginbotham age 68, widower, labourer
James Higginbotham age 22
John Higginbotham age 20
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Wexford_Urban/Trimmer_s_Lane_West/1806471

Ages of James and John were a year or 2 out. William's age may not have beeen accurate.

Cowban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Yes that's correct maiden stone and 1911 the two brothers lived together,  William Jr died in 1904 he laid to rest in crosstown cemetery.
Diarmuid

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:05 BST (UK) »

William 1873  address Trimmer's lane, Wexford

James 1880  address Selskar

John 1880  address Selskar

Just a quick comment on the addresses.  Trimmer's Lane and Selskar Street are connecting streets in the north end of Wexford. In fact, I had several wonderful meals in a great restaurant located on the corner between these two streets just two weeks ago.  But the point I want to make is that the birth registrations say Selskar, rather than Selskar St. This matters, as the local area is also known simply as Selskar  So, I don't think they changed where they were living, it is just a change from specifying the exact lane, to giving a more general name. In addition, Selskar street is the continuation of Main St, and was/is a much more expensive a location that the humble Trimmer's Lane. i.e. unlikely they lived on Selkar St. Finally, as Maiden Stone just posted, the family were still in Trimmer's Lane in 1901. Putting all this together, I think it pretty certain that all the children were actually born in Trimmer's Lane.

As a side note, the area gets its name from Selskar Abbey, where Henry II of England did penance in 1172 for the murder of St. Thomas a Becket. 
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
I've found that a lot of ages are wrong doing my family  research especially in the 1800s,