Author Topic: Air Mechanics in the Army  (Read 404 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Air Mechanics in the Army
« on: Monday 08 October 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
OK - so today's question is

I have a guy - George Gleave - who enlisted as a air mechanic in the army/RFC on 8/10/15 he was subsequently transferred to the RAF, 48th Squadron - on 1/4/18.  His service number was given according to the Fold3 documents as 9558.  It is also mentioned here that he served in Egypt. 

I am researching him as an ex student of a teacher training college and in the 1916 student magazine he writes to the college to say that he has met up with another student on the "boat on our way to India" - that would have been sometime during 1915.

So - my knowledgeable friends - are there any war diaries for the RFC section of the Army at all - are they on the Ancestry site cunningly hidden?  Or is these anywhere you can recommend that I could find out details of various movements in order to try and place his whereabouts?

Thanks again
Kindest
Margaret

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Air Mechanics in the Army
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has his airman's record which is noted "India from 15/9/16" in the medals campaigns etc section.  Nothing about Egypt.

He was initially with 31 Squadron RFC. He seems to have still been with 31 Squadron in September 1918.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Re: Air Mechanics in the Army
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ

Superb - thank you so much

Kindest
Margaret