Author Topic: Thomas Wise  (Read 852 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Wise
« on: Monday 08 October 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
I am currently looking into the family of my ancestor Richard Wise and have come across a bit of a puzzle which I hope someone here can suggest a solution to.

As far as I was aware until recently, Richard married Sarah Thomas in Throwley in 1624 and they appeared to have had three children, Thomas (born 1627/28 in Throwley), Mary (born 1630/31 in Throwley), and Obedier [a daughter] (born in 1633).

I did find a Will a couple of years ago for a Richard Wise dated 1636 which I thought could be my Richard, however the name of the wife was down as Mary and not Sarah so I assumed for the time that it was the wrong Richard.

However I have since done more investigating and found out that Sarah died in 1632 and Richard appears to have married again in 1632 in the parish of Selling, to a woman named Mary Cheese - obviously the Mary refered to as "my wife" in his Will.

In the Will Richard refers to his daughter Obedier who now appears to have been born to Mary and not Sarah as I previously thought given that she was christened in 1633. What is now puzzling e is he fact that Obedier appears to have been a twin! There is another Thomas Wise chistened on the same day as her - 23 June 1633 in Throwley with both described as children of "Richard Wise" (or "Richard Wyse").

So far I have been unable to find a burial for the first Thomas, and given that my ancestor is Thomas Wise I am unsure which is my Thomas - the Thomas born to Sarah, or the Thomas born to Mary?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wise
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
I do have a copy of the register, there is only one child baptised that day to Richard Wyse (Wise)

It says: 1633

Thomasin ye daughter of Richard Snoth? bapt ye 24th of May
Edmond ye sonne of Thos. Elney? & Obediener the daughter of Richard Wyse bapt. 23 June.....

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
I do have a copy of the register, there is only one child baptised that day to Richard Wyse (Wise)

It says: 1633

Thomasin ye daughter of Richard Snoth? bapt ye 24th of May
Edmond ye sonne of Thos. Elney? & Obediener the daughter of Richard Wyse bapt. 23 June.....

Claire

Hi Claire

I have that now as well [looked it up on Ancestry this afternoon]. It's a good thing that your reading of it is the same as mine. Obediener is a very unusual name and yet I can't find anything else on her, not a burial nor a marriage.

Familysearch, and Findmypast both have a reference to a Thomas Wise christened on the same day (again to Richard) and yet I can't see him on the register.

Anyhow I'll leave the Wises for now and go back and double check my Wills.

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
Obediener is a very unusual name and yet I can't find anything else on her, not a burial nor a marriage.

Her name is written Obedience in the 1633 baptism record. Compare the letter c with the c in the middle of Richard below. I don't know if that will help at all with finding her.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:57 BST (UK) »
Obediener is a very unusual name and yet I can't find anything else on her, not a burial nor a marriage.

Her name is written Obedience in the 1633 baptism record. Compare the letter c with the c in the middle of Richard below. I don't know if that will help at all with finding her.

Hi

Thanks for posting that image - I actually forgot to post a copy of the register entry lol!

I'll see if I can find her using that name.

Matt