Author Topic: CHARLES AWRE WOOD,1848-1924,Baptised twice!  (Read 2040 times)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHARLES AWRE WOOD,1848-1924,Baptised twice!
« on: Monday 08 October 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Records show he was baptised at Upton on Severn Worcestershire on 25 Apr 1848.
On 15 Feb 1866 he was baptised at Newnham Gloucestershire,his date of birth given as 22 Apr 1848,he was baptised with his brothers-Albert William Davies (born 1845),Joseph Henry (born 1846),and Alfred Edwin (born 1849).
Would be interested to hear of any similar record or if this is fairly unique.?
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES AWRE WOOD,1848-1924,Baptised twice!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
It's not unique. A trio of my great-aunts were done at one go when they were small children. Each had been baptised as babies in another Christian denomination.
Did the 2 churches in which Charles was baptised belong to the same denomination?
Were the boys parents alive and living with them at time of later baptism? The young men might have needed to produce baptism certificates for some reason (e.g. Confirmation, marriage) and not known if/when/where they were baptised so had another ceremony.
Was Charles 1st baptism noted as private (possibly abbreviated to P) ? If so it may have been an emergency baptism at home for a weak or sickly baby in danger of death. If the baby recovered it was customary to have another ceremony later in the church.
Cowban

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Maiden Stone.
Have now discovered two more of William & Ann Wood's children were baptised years after their birth,although not apparently second baptisms ---
Daniel William Wood ,birth 1853 Hanley Castle.Baptised Berkeley 17 Feb 1869 (described as "adult").
Henrietta Sophia Wood,birth 1855 Newent.Baptised with Daniel.
Wonder why not baptised in 1866 with their siblings?
Both parents were alive in 1881.
No indication of baptisms being Private,would guess no change of denomination.
Colin
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
It does happen.

One of my more 'colourful' Cornish ancestors had his first four children baptised together in 1810, then the next group in 1816 - included in the second batch was the youngest of the four baptised in 1810.  All in the same CofE parish church.

Several of this ancestor's kin went in for batch baptisms - occasionally children were omitted.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
I've come across batch baptisms when browsing registers. Often it was around same time as the new baby was baptised.
What denomination were the baptisms in 1866 and 1869?
Cowban

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.
The 1866 and 1869 baptisms I found on Ancestry --Gloucestershire Church of England Baptisms.
Charles Awre Wood's baptism in 1848 ,again Ancestry --England Select Births & Christenings,so maybe assume C of E ?
Colin

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
Charles Awre Wood's baptism in 1848 ,again Ancestry --England Select Births & Christenings,so maybe assume C of E ?

The only thing I'm sure of with the collection is that they were births and christenings which took place in England.
Have you seen the images of the parish registers for any of them?
Did any of the brothers marry around 1866? It's customary/desirable for newly married couples to receive Communion. Usual sequence in C. of E. was Baptism, Confirmation, Communion. A candidate for Confirmation would have needed proof of baptism. If s/he wasn't born in the parish and couldn't provide proof of baptism in another parish, the curate/vicar might have decided to baptise her/him to ensure it was done.
The 2 younger children were aged around 14 and 16 when they were baptised. This suggests to me that they were preparing for Confirmation. The 4 elder ones may have been baptised before their Confirmation ceremony too. If they lived in a rural parish several years might elapse between bishop's visits, so several children in a family would be presented for Confirmation at one occasion. The 2 younger children may have been considered not ready for Confirmation in 1866.
Cowban

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone for your reply.
Am discovering more of their parents William & Ann Wood ,have discovered Williams first wife died very young and there were further children.
Will reply when I have found out all I can.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Re my question as to whether any of the young men married around 1866, reply #6. There were sometimes baptisms of adults shortly before they married. A famous recent example is Megan Markle. She underwent a course of instruction in Anglican beliefs and received Baptism and Confirmation before her marriage to Prince Harry. Her parents belong to 2 different Christian denominations but she hadn't been baptised as a child. The Confirmation ceremony was because she wants to take Holy Communion when she attends church with Harry.
Cowban