Author Topic: CHARLES AWRE WOOD,1848-1924,Baptised twice!  (Read 2038 times)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES AWRE WOOD,1848-1924,Baptised twice!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 October 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your interesting reply.
I seem to have found all I can about the father William Wood (1814-1882) born Maiseyhampton who was a miller.He had a tragic early life,in 1839 he married Eliza Davies (born 1817) at St Nicholas Gloucester.
Soon after she died and was buried 1840,Aug 6 at Dymock.
Their daughter Eliza Ann Wood was Baptised a few weeks later on Sept 27 1840 at Dymock (she died in 1918).
1841 Census shows William lodging in Awre ,miller,but not with Eliza Ann.
Cannot find Eliza Ann in the 1841 Census ???
In 1843 William married Ann Davies in Cheltenham Parish Church.
The four sons baptised together in 1866----Albert William Davies married 1869 Apr/May/June.Joseph Henry marr 1875,Charles Awre marr 1879,Alfred Edwin marr 1888.
Henry James born 1851 was unmarried in 1881.
The two baptisms in 1869---Daniel William born 1853 was unmarried in 1881,and Henrietta Sophia born 1855 married in 1887.
Will investigate to try to find if Williams two wives Eliza Davies and Ann Davies were related.

Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
William Wood's two wives were indeed sisters.
Ann baptised July 4 1813,parents John & Mary Davies,abode Forest of Dean (Extraparochial),labourer.Baptism record Chapelry of Blakeney.Also identical baptism record in Parish of Awre & Chapelry of Blakeney.
Eliza baptised 1816 Oct 6 Parish of Dymock,description same but abode Dymock.
As mentioned in previous post would like to find Eliza Ann Wood in the 1841 Census,she would be less than a year old ?
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 18 22:58 BST (UK) »

Was that allowed?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 October 18 23:25 BST (UK) »

Was that allowed?

"Forbidden Marriage Laws of the United Kingdom"
Table 22 List of Forbidden Marriages:
A Table of Kindred and Affinity
"A man may not marry his ….  Wife's Sister"
"A woman may not marry her ….    Sister's Husband"

These rules were drawn up by Church of England and remained in force 1560- early 20th century.
(Genetic and Quantitative Aspects of Genealogy)
www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145

I don't know if a widower was allowed to marry his sister-in-law.

Edit. Link doesn't work.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
The religious and legal situation in regard to a man marrying the sister of his deceased wife in England was a grey area until 1835.

Widowers did marry their sisters-in-law e.g. a brother of Jane Austen married his deceased wife's sister and the marriage lasted over 30 years. Before 1835 a marriage within the prohibited degree was not absolutely void but could be voided "at the suit of any interested party".

1835 Marriage Act prohibited future marriages of widowers to their sisters-in-law although it validated any which had already taken place.

1842 Marriage to Deceased Wife's Sister's Bill was defeated in Parliament.
This was followed by many attempts to amend the law. Agitation for change increased in 1860s.

1907 Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act finally allowed a widower to marry his dead wife's sister.
A clause in this Act permitted individual clergy to refuse to conduct a marriage that would have  been previously prohibited.

Widows had to wait until 1921 before they could legally marry their deceased husband's brother.
1921 Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act
1924 Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act (Northern Ireland) This was to remove any doubt as to whether the legislation applied to the new state of Northern Ireland.

NB There was separate legislation in Scotland (various dates).

See:
Deceased Wife's sister's Marriage Act 1907  (Wikipedia)
Marriage Act (Amendment) 1835 (Hansard)
"The 65 Year Battle over the Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act"
Marriage Act 1835 text (repealed by Parliament of Western Australia 2014)
Affinity - kinship relationship between 2 people created as a result of someone's marriage.

I wonder if there was any connection between William marrying his sister-in-law and you not finding baptisms for most offspring of the marriage. I see that William's 2 marriages were in different towns/cities and that the son's infant baptism was in another county. They may not have known that their marrriage was invalid.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:06 BST (UK) »
As mentioned in previous post would like to find Eliza Ann Wood in the 1841 Census,she would be less than a year old ?

Have you tried all versions of Elizabeth? I've included nickname and phonetic options when I searched for Elizabeth among my ancestors' records. Sometimes the search doesn't find them all. Mine were frequently Betty. Your Eliza may have been Lizzie. Try omitting Ann. Try Ann(e) as 1st name.
 Be flexible with age. My 3xGGM's baby was down as 5 years old on a transcription of 1841 census. The baby died shortly after the census and GRO index has him as 5 years old too. He wasn't the only baby whose age was transcribed as years instead of months.
Eliza might have been with relatives or boarded-out with unrelated people. Have you located Ann Davies or her parents in 1841?
Cowban

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Many ,many thanks Maiden Stone for the very interesting  and detailed replies.
An unlawful marriage then,maybe he was aware of this resulting in the late baptisms,certainly moved around and in very rural areas (extra parochial in some records).
Thank you for the hints but up till now still haven't been able to discover Eliza Ann or her parents in the 1841 census,will keep trying.
Thanks again.
(My tree is on Ancestry-Green Family Tree-colingreen91-with full details of the Woods (photos) and Davies.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
If any of my ancestors had been christened Eliza Ann she would have been called "Lizeran" and spoken of  as "ower Lizeran".
Cowban

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Had an ancestor,she played the mouthorgan very well,she was "our Monica".!!
Wonder if anyone can find Eliza Ann Wood in the 1841 census,baptised Dymock 1840,or her parents in this census ,William Wood born 1813 Maiseyhampton and Eliza born 1816 ??