Author Topic: Jemima Hugo & James Ware  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Deb McBb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jemima Hugo & James Ware
« on: Monday 08 October 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
Jemima & James married in 1877. They immigrated to Australia in 1888. They had 9 children, 3 sons & 6 daughters. The sons died young - 12, 30 & 40 years of age. Some of the daughters lost their husbands & remarried. So lots of relatives. I've traced Jemima back to Liskeard, Cornwall. Would love to hear from anyone related or any info at all. Thank-you.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Hugo & James Ware
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:05 BST (UK) »

There are several family trees to see for this family on Ancestry. If you do not have a subscription you might be able to access this through a library or local family history room.

Are you looking for parents and siblings for James and Jemima?.

Offline Deb McBb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'm not a paid up member of Ancestry but do have an account. I do have access to Findmypast. I have information on parents & siblings but welcome more. Would love to track down everyone who is related & get them to join my facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1896267840681626/

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
have you used the opc database to research family? 

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/person-search/

The transcriptions are from the parish registers. There's extra detail on the burial for Jemima's father giving the circumstances of his death

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=2953765
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Deb McBb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Yes I have used the Cornwall OPC Database but haven't seen Jemima's father's entry before. I did contact the Liskeard Old Cornwall Society, (historical societies of the area you're researching are very helpful), & they gave me details of Richard Hugo's death, it is also on his headstone - "Sacred. To the Memory of Richard Hugo of this Borough. Who was accidentally killed by the falling of a wall when passing the Post Office corner. On the 8th day of June 1864. Aged 39 years. Watch therefore ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.". From Liskeard Old Cornwall Society - 'The newspaper report says Richard Hugo was a servant of solicitor John Sargent of The Parade at the time of the accident. Two children and another man were killed also. The Post Office was on the corner of Dean St and Barras St.'