Author Topic: The Coady's as an off shoot of McCarroll's  (Read 3343 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: The Coady's as an off shoot of McCarroll's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
A Coadys Convenience Store , 8 and 10 Bath Street, was for sale in 1996.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
We now have a husband to Catherine, Patrick J. and a date of his death (22-7-59).  That is, if this is the proper tie-in and with little more than what has been stated we can assume, but still challenge.  At least it gives us some pause to assess just when Patrick and Kitty got married, but it opens up some avenues of research. While the address is different than that of the obituary of Catherine (Bath Street), it is in Irishtown.

Again, thank you scotmum!

jjc
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - You will note that in posting about the living children of Catherine there was no attempt to post "details."  While I may have referenced someone's move to France the details were not divulged.  Also, I did say that some had passed away and a few were still using their walkers, or canes like myself, and that these souls were in retirement or a still practicing solicitor - but no details that would identify them.

Clearly in this you are, as in other instances, mistaken. I was able to find births and other more recent details for Catherine Coady's children from what you posted on the other thread. Thus my reminder about what you post.

Significantly, it does not go to her origins.  We still don't know just where she got married, or when.  And when did she move to the Bath Street address.
You may not have Catherine's marriage details but they are also easily found online with very little effort searching-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1938/08890/5215189.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
scotmum - the error is mine, and it can't be attributed to anyone else.  Catherine was the McCarroll that married a Coady and Ellen was another McCarroll girl that married a Bogan.

jjc
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
But surely Catherine was a Bogan, daughter of Ellen Bogan (nee McCarroll)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
scotmum - the error is mine, and it can't be attributed to anyone else.  Catherine was the McCarroll that married a Coady and Ellen was another McCarroll girl that married a Bogan.

jjc

Well, I'm even more confused.

Ellen McCarroll married Andrew Bogan and their daughter Catherine Bogan married Patrick Coady.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:52 BST (UK) »

jjc

Well, I'm even more confused.

Ellen McCarroll married Andrew Bogan and their daughter Catherine Bogan married Patrick Coady.

In Dublin?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
See reply #11 on this thread for link to Bogan-Coady marriage.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
aghadowey -

I sometimes have a bit of a problem with your posts, as in this one.  Your response seems to be a bit out of the air. "Clearly in this you are, as in other instances, mistaken."  While you may address all of my mistakes, and I appreciate your vast knowledge of genealogy, where am I clearly mistaken in not addressing your ability "...to find births and other more recent details for Catherine Coady's children." 

I stated, and will restate my "mistake" again, "I did say that some had passed away and a few were still using their walkers, or canes like myself, and that these souls were in retirement or a still practicing solicitor - but no details that would identify them." If it upsets you that someone should address your comments about posting details about persons that are not in their graves, at least don't tie your comment to something that was not addressed.

I have attempted to address Catherine's marriage (as I did with Ellen) and could not find where it took place.  Like Ellen's, there was no clue given that it might have been something to do with manifests - or even in another County.  Without that start, I could not address the living - as was the problem some ten years ago when a Coady went on this board and for the first time had his hands slapped when told he could not address "details."

Your ad hominem comment regarding my research abilities does not need a response.  But, recall - when we do address some of the problems that we have had in researching our ancestors it must be remembered that we do not have your vast (and that is not meant as a put-down) knowledge.

While I may not be new to this board, this is not something that I am clearly knowledgeable.  When I started looking at Kitty, there was a start with looking for her marriage.  And without having her husband's name, and where he came from, wandering around the National Archives was not a waste of my time (in that some things can be eliminated) but very frustrating. 

Actually, because I could not seek details from the living relatives, I had to rely upon others on this board like scotmum to tell me that it was Patrick J.  Now that does open up other avenues of research.

jjc