Author Topic: Seeking help to sort out William Cushing  (Read 865 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Seeking help to sort out William Cushing
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 06:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out William Cushing and his possible marriage to Ann Newham.

What I am fairly certain of is that he was born in 1771, and baptised at Great Massingham, Norfolk.
He was married 9 Jun 1796 to Elizabeth Lord, at Kings Lynn, Norfolk

They had 11 children, 3 girls and 8 boys. A couple of the boys died young, as the names were used by boys a few years later.

The first boy was born 20 March 1797, and the last, a girl was born 18 Oct 1816.
The records show then all being born at Fakenham, but baptised at Kings Lynn.

I have found a record that shows William marrying Ann Newham 13 June 1786. The records I have found show her baptised 8 Jan 1769 at Pentney, Norfolk, but born at East Dereham, Norfolk.

I have not found a record of her death prior to the marriage of William to Elizabeth.

If anyone can sort this out, I would be very grateful.

A Chesters

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to sort out William Cushing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure that there are not 2 William Cushings, as both of the marriages show him as a single man.

Have you compared his signatures on the marriage registers?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure that there are not 2 William Cushings, as both of the marriages show him as a single man.

Have you compared his signatures on the marriage registers?

If William b1771 married in 1786 he would have been 15.  Not impossible, but unusual.

FamilySearch has a William CUSHING bapt 16 Sep 1750 in Cawston, son of Thomas and Mary.  Could he be the William who married Ann NEWHAM in 1786 in East Dereham? (Cawston is about 14 miles from Dereham).

(ADDED) FamilySearch has a burial for William CUSHING 14 Nov 1819 age 69 - BT image for Blakeney.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your interest.

Yokel, I had not thought to compare the signatures  :-[ The William with Ann Newham signs as William Cushing.  The William with Elizabeth Lord signs as Wm Cushing. In both cases the Cushing is similar, but the W is quite different.

Philip, I think you are quite correct about the other William. Williams father was William, as was his first born son ::)

The other detail, which I have only just thought about, is that Ann did not produce any children, and the first child with Elizabeth was about nine (9) months after the wedding.

With your help, I will remove Ann from the records, and stay with Elizabeth as his only wife. It has had me confused for a while, but you have made me see where I went wrong.

A C