Author Topic: Morris arrival Tasmania c1844/5  (Read 5242 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Morris arrival Tasmania c1844/5
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 08:49 BST (UK) »

They are probably among the numerous unrecorded births, in which case you have to hope to find a baptism.....somewhere.

What use would a birth record for Margaret MORRIS and brother William Louther MORRIS be to you?

At Williams death it says he left 5 children, I have only got 3.

For the purpose of good research, and so we know where we are going with this, can you please identify the three children and where you see them.

A question if I may ...  does the marriage of Mary MORRIS in 1859 indicate it was a Baptist ceremony?  if so, were Mary's parents of that denomination?  If so, I think it unlikely to find any of Mary's siblings were baptised as babies/children.   Baptists practise Adult baptism.

(re-posting live link to the marriage here to save others scrolling back)
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-18p268j2k

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
At Williams death it says he left 5 children, I have only got 3, 2 still alive at his death.

Did you add to this post?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
More than one person by name of William MORRIS, in the Fingal area...

William MORRIS general storekeeper. Fingal Stores.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38998413  13 December 1859  Launceston Examiner

and there's the man employed by the Midland Company, helping the carpenter, noted as leaving a widow and five children.... a labourer
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38998606  29 December 1859
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38998817 12 January 1860

leaving a WIDOW and five children ...

Perhaps that's errr ... three chaps named William MORRIS were in Fingal in December 1859 ...

JM

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Mary Morris
Chatham, Kent, England

Christening Date    06 Mar 1842
Christening Date (Original)    6 Mar 1842
Christening Place    St. Mary, Chatham, Kent, England
Father's Name    William Lauther Morris
Mother's Name    Bridget Morris

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Morris, William Louther
25 Dec 1859
Male 56

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:29 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You note that you have 2 children living when William Lauther MORRIS died in December 1859, and his obit mentions he left a widow and 5 children.

His first wife, Bridget died in 1853, and he re-married.

From his first marriage, there were at least FOUR children still alive when he died:

His eldest daughter was Jessy SEWELL, formerly Mrs CONNELL and it was Jessy who in took her brother William (aged 8 ) to the orphanage ...

William’s sister Margaret (aged 9) was admitted to the orphanage and on her admission papers it shows a) Jessy had moved to New Zealand and b) Margaret’s parents were William and Bridget and both were deceased.  Bridget was noted there as Roman Catholic.   I mention that denomination as it may well be that William was already in the Army when he married, and perhaps the marriage was not registered in GRO.   

So, there’s at least FOUR alive in 1860 in Tasmania whose parents were William Lauther MORRIS and Bridget DWYER:

Jessy (eldest daughter) SEWELL, formerly CONNELL, nee Morris See replies #5,  #19, #25
Mary DONNELLY nee Morris See replies# 4, #5, #25
Margaret MORRIS See replies #19, #26
William MORRIS See replies #5, #18, #19, #21, #23

Also Anne born 1849 See reply # 12 died 1850 See reply # 15

Bridget’s death 1853, and so William remarried, likely the younger children by Bridget stayed with Jessy ... so perhaps the fifth living child noted in the obit was from the second marriage …

JM

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 11 October 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
"You note that you have 2 children living when William Lauther MORRIS died in December 1859, and his obit mentions he left a widow and 5 children."

What I should have said to make it more clear is that I only have the birth records of 2 living children.
Margaret, William and Jessy's birth are what I'm looking for. If Jessy was a minor when she married in 1856 then I assume she must have been born after 1835 more than likely in England.
Regarding the marriage between William and Bridget. I think Bridget may have been Irish and they married in Ireland.
Interesting fact if William was with the 99th. regiment.....

In February 1816 the regiment was renumbered as the 99th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment), then withdrawn to England in 1818 to be disbanded at Chatham.

Mary Morris was born in Chatham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 October 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
I think you are only missing Jessy's birth/baptism. 

:) Jessy was born before Mary, so you may need to check the location/s of the regiment in late 1830s to then check for Jessy's birth and also for the marriage of William and Bridget.

:)  See the images as per replies #18, 20, 23 details of birth of George William and the details that were recorded re the baptisms of both William and Margaret.

JM