Author Topic: Stained Glass Co Sydney  (Read 1239 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Stained Glass Co Sydney
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I'm looking for any information on Couldery and Co., Glass works Sydney. The company originally began in 1884 as Couldery and Harwood. Joseph Couldery known as Walter had trained under Fred Ashwin and John Falconer considered to be Sydney's ultimate stained glass company ( I had one some research on this company a number of years ago when I was researching another church. In February 1884 Couldery began his own business with a Mr Harwood in George Street, Sydney, at the Haymarket . They later moved to 354 Pitt Street, Sydney. Mr Harwood's name disappears in 1893 and the name Couldery and Co., begins to appear. They later moved to 389 Pitt Street and finally to 71 Liverpool Street Sydney. Couldery and CO., were registered as a Company in 1903.
They were in the Sand's directory until 1929. Joseph died at his residence Kuringai Chase Ave, Turramurra in 1935.  I have numerous articles obtained from TROVE regarding Joseph's personal and business information.
Joseph and his wife Sarah had only two daughters both who remained spinsters. The company won first prize for their work at the Industrial Exhibition in 1885 and undertook a number of commissions throughout NSW, Cobar, Armidale and Tamworth to name a few. I'd be interested in discovering where I could go to discover what happened to any drawings/ illustrations that may have survived, or any more information on the sale/ winding up of the Company. What Mr Harwood's Christian name may have been.
Vera Walter's eldest daughter passed away 1961 and his younger daughter died in 1978 residing at Gordon near Sydney.
Many thanks
Wren