Author Topic: Trying to find licensees of the Eastern Temperance Hall in Stepney, East London  (Read 944 times)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
I am trying to find the licensees of Eastern Temperance Hall, which is referenced as being at 246 Whitechapel Road, Stepney? I can find no details of a building of this name at that address (Waterloo House was at 245–249 Whitechapel Road).

Charles William Henry Taylor - Licensee 1858 – 1861
Photographer living at 54 Sturgeon Road, Newington, Southwark in 1881.

William Winningale - Licensee 1861 - 1870
Recorded as a photographer at 246 Whitechapel Road, in 1869 (between Vine Court and Fieldgate Street)

I think Whitechapel Road was renumbered at some point, so this doesn’t help.
 Any assistance appreciated - Thanks Bob
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find licensees of the Eastern Temperance Hall in Stepney, East London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
You can see Vine Court and Fieldgate Street on this map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=51.5176&lon=-0.0655&layers=163&right=BingHyb
I wonder if it is the same place as the East London Theatre?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find licensees of the Eastern Temperance Hall in Stepney, East London
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
In the Post Office London Directory, 1899. [Part 2: Street Directory] between Vine Court and Fieldgate Street, 246 Whitechapel Road is  John Buck, China & Glass Merchant, and 247 is James Esplin, Beer Retailer.

Stan

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering what kind of licence a Temperance Hall would need :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Reply to Carol. I think by licensee they mean the manager responsible for the building. I presume all public buildings required some sort of license as they do today.
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
I think Whitechapel Road was renumbered at some point, so this doesn’t help.
 Any assistance appreciated - Thanks Bob

If you look at the map at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=51.5176&lon=-0.0655&layers=170&right=BingHyb you can see that Whitechapel Road has been renumbered since the 19th Century.
Odd numbers are on the North Side and Even numbers on the South side.
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Reply to Carol. I think by licensee they mean the manager responsible for the building. I presume all public buildings required some sort of license as they do today.

Under the Disorderly Houses Act of 1752, places of entertainment and houses used for music and dancing in London and Westminster and within twenty miles from there were required to obtain a licence from the Justices of the Peace. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mu6/

Stan

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Also known as the Eastern Temple per this list of licensees: http://www.str.org.uk/research/resources/theatres/licensees.html

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
Looking at newspaper mentions, it was originally the Alhambra, then the Eastern Temperance Hall, then the Eastern Alhambra Temperance Hall, and it was in "Shoreditch, opposite the Great Eastern Railway".

Bobfilm, are you looking for more licensees (there are 7 on that list I posted) or for more details on the two you mention?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk