Author Topic: Newcastle Criminal Document Information  (Read 950 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Newcastle Criminal Document Information
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Whilst looking up William Hedley Junior (b1822 Northumberland somewhere) for a friend, a criminal register has him recorded 5 January 1848 at Newcastle of being 'misdemeanor, taking and destroying fish'. Ten men of varying ages were had up at the same time for the same thing. Of the ten, two were held for the 'Rising of the Court' and the other eight were found 'not guilty'. William Hedley Junior was one of the men 'not guilty'.

The questions I have are, what were they doing and against their names were descriptors such as 'Imp', 'N' and 'Well' what do those abbreviations mean?

I also wonder if there was a newspaper article at the time giving some background information about this seemingly large event, given so many men were involved.

I am intrigued.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Criminal Document Information
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
They were charged that they '....on the 17th of November, in the parish of Rothbury, unlawfully destroyed salmon in the river Coquet.'
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
As JenB says, it was for killing fish in the Coquet

There was a report in the Newcastle Journal, 18 December 1847, page 3, col 3

SALMON POACHING — At a special sessions held at the Justice room, Alnwick, yesterday week, before Captain Dale, and Hugh Moises, Esq. two of her Majesty’s justices of the peace, James Elliott of Hepple Demesne, farmer, John Kirkup, of the same place labourer, also William Hedley, jun, tinner, Peter Williams, tinker, William Miller, tinker, George Foggon, butcher, all of Rothbury; and Lancelot Turnbull of Snitter, William Telford, of High Trewhitt, James Armstrong, of Trewhitt Steads, Simon Telford, of Whittle, all labourers, were summoned on the information of Mr Muers, Lessee of the Salmon Fishery of the Coquet, for killing fish in the said river in the close season. The evidence of the keeper being to the satisfaction of the bench, the parties were committed to take their trial for the offence at the Northumberland quarter session, which will be held in this town in January next.

As they were accused of killing the fish during the close season, I assume they were caught in the act and didn't manage to get away with the haul.

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant 7 January 1848

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
The questions I have are, what were they doing and against their names were descriptors such as 'Imp', 'N' and 'Well' what do those abbreviations mean?

Google provides the answer  ;)

N or no: Neither read nor write
R or read: Read
Imp: Read and write imperfectly
W or Well: Both well
Sup: Superior education

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/degree_of_instruction.html

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for your help, that is all great information and provides clear answer for what I saw in the Criminal Register.

My friend will be thrilled to learn about all this. I am thrilled myself.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.