Author Topic: Trouble with old marriage records and Leeds Parish Church's  (Read 5709 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with old marriage records and Leeds Parish Church's
« Reply #45 on: Friday 12 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
As you continue to doubt the information offered to you, then may I suggest that you ask the Diocese of Leeds

enquiries at leeds.anglican.org (substitute @ for "at" in your e-mail address)

And I think that all of us who have offered help are of the same opinion - the marriage took place "in the parish church in the Parish of  St Andrews in the county of York (or Leeds)", as detailed in the heading on the marriage entries from 1845 until 1934.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
To answer your latest query regarding St George and St Andrew.

You have access to Ancestry images - just look at the entries for marriages at St George, Leeds and St Andrew, Leeds in 1914 - they are completely different sets of names.  You can also verify that by looking at the names of bride or groom by looking at yorkshirebmd.org.uk and that will confirm the venue.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
As you continue to doubt the information offered to you, then may I suggest that you ask the Diocese of Leeds

enquiries at leeds.anglican.org (substitute @ for "at" in your e-mail address)

And I think that all of us who have offered help are of the same opinion - the marriage took place "in the parish church in the Parish of  St Andrews in the county of York (or Leeds)", as detailed in the heading on the marriage entries from 1845 until 1934.

So that is Cavendish Street 100%

Was the person who said some Parish's have more than one parish church wrong then?

"There were a few churches in and around Leeds dedicated to St Andrew" - Quote Arthur k

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
To answer your latest query regarding St George and St Andrew.

You have access to Ancestry images - just look at the entries for marriages at St George, Leeds and St Andrew, Leeds in 1914 - they are completely different sets of names.  You can also verify that by looking at the names of bride or groom by looking at yorkshirebmd.org.uk and that will confirm the venue.

I don't know how to find a random one for St George on Ancestry.

Also on yorkshirebmd.org.uk it says St Andrew, Leeds - leading us back to the original quandary

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
I was hoping not to have to add any more to this thread as we've been going round in circles, but since you are querying a couple of things I've said, I am reluctantly returning to it.

So that is Cavendish Street 100%

Was the person who said some Parish's have more than one parish church wrong then?

"There were a few churches in and around Leeds dedicated to St Andrew" - Quote Arthur k

See my earlier posts:
(b) St Andrew's parish was created out of the parish of St George's (and was later reunited with it), hence it sharing the same reference number in the WYAS catalogue, but in 1914 they were completely separate parishes

Very exceptionally where there's an ancient church and a newer one in the same parish, both may be given the status of parish church, but the usual situation is one parish = one parish church. Any other churches in the parish would be described as a chapel of ease, district church or daughter church.

In this case, the parish of St Andrew's was created out of St George's parish in 1845. It would be highly unusual, if not unprecedented, for a parish created at that date to have more than one parish church in it.

(I mentioned the possibility of there being two parish churches in a parish because it's a situation I once came across, but in giving a complete answer I have possibly confused you. As I said, it would be highly unusual, if not unprecedented, for it to be the case here. If it were the case, it would no doubt be mentioned in the National Index of Parish Registers which I referred to, and I would have mentioned it in my reply.)

On the face of it, though, "St Andrew's Leeds" (etc) would appear to mean the one in Cavendish Street. If you look for other St Andrew's churches in the WYAS list or the Yorkshire BMD coverage, you'll see that their names include the suburbs they are in - Stanningley/Rodley and Stourton.

After checking out the sources and reference numbers etc that have been quoted here several times, I was and still am in no doubt that the marriage took place in St Andrew's Church, as it says on the certificate, and that this was the one in Cavendish Street.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
St George - look for Elsie M Bentley - 1914.  Then do the same name on yorkshirebmd.

As for St Andrew, Leeds - just ask WYAS about their codes.  RDP62 in their Collection Guide, and P62/20/11 on the image of the marriage entry for David Beevers.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you have the Marriage Certificate already, then you must go by what is on your Certificate and make your own mind up from that.

One of my ancestors announced their Wedding in the newspaper and it says which Street the Methodist Chapel was in, as there were several in that City and the old photos match the current frontage.

If you are local and have the wedding photos, perhaps you can rule out the other churches anyway, or check old photos of the church demolished, if photos survive of the location, where any you might have, were taken.

Mark

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
thanks guys. Sorry for being a pain, I just hate 'guessing'/'assuming' when it comes to ancestry.
as we know that is never a good thing and cements an error for all time usually.

It seems we are settled on St Andrews on Cavendish Street (demolished)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hurrah   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY