Author Topic: Was there a school in Patshull/Pattingham in 1841?  (Read 594 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was there a school in Patshull/Pattingham in 1841?
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
A bit of a ransom question as an offshoot from my main tree research - was there an active school in Patshull/Pattingham in 1841? I've read that there was a school founded in the latter in 1684 but that it operated only fitfully, being a workhouse at one point. I know that the compulsory school was opened in 1875.

The family of one of my ancestors was sharing a house in Patshull with a number of people including a Sarah Ann, schoolmistress. I was wondering whether she was teaching children in Pattingham village or was more likely to have been working as a private tutor for the Pigot children of Patshull hall.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was there a school in Patshull/Pattingham in 1841?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
There's also an Ann Ash, school mistress, with her parents in Nore Hill, Patshull in 1841.

There was a National School at Pattingham by 1840. No mention of one at Patshull in this book:  https://goo.gl/jvsyxo
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes - I was getting some names mixed up, it is indeed Ann Ash, not Sarah. Nore Hill is where my 3x great grandfather John Monkton is living in 1841.

Am I correct in assuming that they would all have been living in the same property? I believe there’s currently only one farmhouse at Nore Hill, would that have been the case in 1841?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in assuming that they would all have been living in the same property? I believe there’s currently only one farmhouse at Nore Hill, would that have been the case in 1841?

It looks like two houses to me. One is occupied by the Ash family, the other by a Monckton (?) family and an Elizabeth Williams in separate households.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Ah, interesting. The Moncktons are my ancestors - John being my 3x great-grandfather.

Over the past couple of days I've begun to realise that the Moncktons had more of a connection to Pattingham than I thought. John had a brother Joseph who was married in the village in around 1836, had one child there around 1837-38 and then had another in Wolverhampton in 1839. However he seems to have either died or disappeared by about 1840, because his wife remarried in 1841. I've yet to find a death record

I believe Joseph's son Thomas is living in Pattingham in 41. Listed as living in Tutors Hill with a James and Sarah, surnames I've yet to decipher. I don't think it's Monckton, however.