Author Topic: Floors in Scotland Town or just a Castle?  (Read 899 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Floors in Scotland Town or just a Castle?
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching my husbands family for a number of years and have managed to get back to the 1700's... today I found a document online, entitled

- Documents in the case of Roderick McCulloch [MacCulloch] of Glastulich, [Jacobite]...
Reference:   SP 36/87/3/28

In this mention is made of my husbands ancestor Hugh Macdonald who was Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland and also Town Clerk of Dornoch.

- ' Hugh Macdonald of Floors, sheriff clerk of Sutherland;'

I have tried researching Floors but all I can find is Floors Castle, does anyone have knowledge of another town or area known as Floors in Scotland.

Many thanks in anticipation

Patricia Valentine
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Floors in Scotland Town or just a Castle?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
There is a query on this family in the journal of the Highland Family History Society!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
There is certainly no town called Floors, but there are farms or places called Floors near Cookney in Aberdeenshire, Penpont in Dumfries-shire, Kilmaurs in Ayrshire, Newton Mearns in Renfrewshire, in Grange in Banffshire, near Strathaven in Lanarkshire, and near Auchterless in Aberdeenshire. There's a headland on the Aberdeenshire coast called Floors Craig, and a Floors Loch near Castle Douglas.

There could also be spelling variants - for example there are streets with 'Fleurs' in their names in Elgin, Forres, Stirling and Glasgow. There are a Fleurs in Cupar, Fife, and another just outside Coldingham in Berwickshire.

There could be others, of course, which existed in the 18th century but no longer do.

None of these places are in or near Sutherland in general or Dornoch in particular.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
I might have known there would be no easy answer... Hugh wasn't 'a son of Dornoch' as this has been recorded however he did die there in 1756... So, his origins could be anywhere, thanks for all the possible suggestions for me to research, should keep me busy for a while....

Regards Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.