Author Topic: Lincolnshire Will's  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Will's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
It's easy at the Lincoln Archives, make an advance booking and once confirmed you can ask them to have up to 3 documents ready for you on arrival.

From memory you can order 3 every 30 minutes which will or should be delivered within another 30 minutes.

That's what I meant by not as easy as other archives.  Mind you I've only been to two, Barrow in Furness and Hampshire County Council in Winchester.  In both of those you just turn up and if you know your way around you do your own searching, if not if you ask a member of staff they'll either point you in the right direction or just go and get what you want.  No hanging around, no need to book in advance.  I was amazed that you had to book, and when I found out when we went to Lincolnshire a few years ago, they didn't have any free slots as we hadn't booked well in advance. 

Hopefully, things are better now.

The LA are always busy at weekends and I have also seen the place full during the week. They recommend that you book in advance as places are limited, c15 fiches, 2 microfilms and c20 tables. The wills are original documents and I doubt that Barrow or Winchester have these available on the shelves.

I have been to 20+ county archives and would always book in advance to be safe.

Please do not blame the LA as they do a cracking job on limited resources.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
I don't know about Barrow, it was very quiet when I went and the staff just got what I asked for, but I didn't ask for wills.  The Hampshire Archives at Winchester is very large, with numerous microfiche readers, tables, etc. and when I used to go was always busy with family history researchers, students, etc. 

I guess the difference between Lincs Archives and the ones I've visited is that Barrow is fairly small and quiet and Winchester is large so both can accommodate people just turning up.  It holds over 10,000 collections spanning 1000 years and  in 2006 the entire archive holdings received 'Designated’ status, signifying them as outstanding and a world class collection.

However, like everywhere else to save money they have cut back on staff and less people are visiting due to so many records having been digitised and available on line.  So what will happen in the future with archives, who knows?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
If you are still needing to see that Will and can get to an LDS Family History Centre, they have been digitised by Familysearch but are restricted to the FHCs only - https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/4327?availability=Family%20History%20Library.

I'm assuming its the Archdeaconry Court of Stow rather than the Peculiar of Stow which only covers a few hamlets - see https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/83592?availability=Family%20History%20Library
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smudwhisk,

Thank you but I now know it's not the William Chafer I was looking for but will keep in mind abt LDS FHC there is one near to me that I used to go to years ago when I first started my research.

Thank you

NG1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;