Author Topic: John CUTHBERT, Born c1832, Kersey (?)  (Read 914 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John CUTHBERT, Born c1832, Kersey (?)
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

There appear to be lots of CUTHBERT's in and around Kersey, but John CUTHBERT above eludes me.   I know little about him, except (a) he had a brother Henry (no age!!), who about 1850 or so was a labourer living in Hadleigh, Suffolk and (b) he spent between 1849 and 1853 imprisoned.....on release he indicated he would be returning to Kerslake.

Incidentally, the 1841 Census (HO107/1022/10/8, p.9) enumerates a John CUTHBERT, approximately the correct age, living with Abraham and Ann GOSLING in Kerslake.

Thank you for any help with information pre- and post-1853 and would be very welcome.

BAC3

Afterthought:    Please consider if he enlisted in the Army in 1854??

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John CUTHBERT, Born c1832, Kersey (?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
1851 Census shows John living with family in Kersey - parents Josiah and Elizabeth - and siblings include a Henry bc.1836/7.

1841 Census - took a while to find them but Josiah is listed as 'Syer' and their surname as 'Cutthbert'.  John not with them but you have already found him living with 'Goslings' - however, with him is also a W Cuthbert aged 75 who would appear to be his grandfather.

Josiah Cuthbert bp.21/10/1810 Kersey, son of William and Elizabeth.

Josiah Cuthbert married Elizabeth Farthing 23/11/1832 Kersey.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John CUTHBERT, Born c1832, Kersey (?)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Annette,

Thank you for all the information.   

The introduction of the name "FARTHING" (mother's maiden name) has now thrown up contradictory possibilities, however, especially between the 1871 and 1881 Census.  Both enumerated in East London with a John (Farthing 1881) CUTHBERT born in Kersey, Suffolk, either in 1833 or 1834, but two different wives and children.

Oh, mon dieu: les tribulations de la genealogie!!!

For the moment, from a quiet, dark room,

BAC3