Author Topic: Regiment ID Please  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Regiment ID Please
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Could any tell me which regiment these soldiers would belong to please. Is it WW2...the absence of puttees makes me think it is but not sure ?
Thanks for looking.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment ID Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
It does have a WW2 look about it Carol. I'm sure someone will be able to identify the cap badge. Can you get a clearer scan? (or a close up?). The one bottom right might be the best to scan?

(there are some pretty scary looking chaps in there  :o )

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
It's quite a good resolution Ruskie so I think the cap badges might be recognised by the very knowledgeable Military buffs then they come on shift  ;) ;D
Yes, there are quite a few "Taxi-Door Lugs on show aren't there  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
I managed to zoom in a bit. So far the closest I could find is the badge of the Middlesex Regiment but the one here is from WW1:
https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/middlesex-regiment-duke-cambridges-own

I'm sure someone will solve the puzzle for you.

A couple of photos about 3/4 the way down this page:
https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/allied/regiment.php?pid=1517
(still not convinced the badge is the same though)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Ruskie...It looks to be a good match doesn't it.
Carol

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Apart from the two NCO's they are in 1938 battle dress.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
I don’t think they all have the same cap badge.  The corporal (2 stripes) has what seems to be a star shape, possibly Royal Army Service Corps.  The few others look different, to me.
The two NCOs seem to be wearing service dress with brass buttons, so the date may be late 1930s when battledress, as worn by all the others was being introduced. 
I would not like to cross the sergeant!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Apart from the two NCO's they are in 1938 battle dress.

Thanks for that Regorian...that's really helpful as I wasn't too sure which era it was.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
I don’t think they all have the same cap badge.  The corporal (2 stripes) has what seems to be a star shape, possibly Royal Army Service Corps.  The few others look different, to me.
The two NCOs seem to be wearing service dress with brass buttons, so the date may be late 1930s when battledress, as worn by all the others was being introduced. 
I would not like to cross the sergeant!

Glad you dropped by Ainslie...that's really helpful, I see what you mean about the different badges, much appreciated.
He does look a bit a bit scary doesn't he  ;D

Carol