Author Topic: Difficulty Reading War Service Record  (Read 1406 times)

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty Reading War Service Record
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about this. Have asked the moderator to remove No2 and No3 attachments as I am not sure how to do that.
Langwell

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 November 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
The medical history sheet is part of his discharge medical with the note “Battle Neurosis Feb 43” now called PTSD or Combat Stress.  (Probably related to the hospitalisation entry on the first clip and below).
There is almost nothing in the second clip that hasn’t been covered already. It is a perfect illustration of the idiosyncratic way the army documents a soldier’s service.  Seemingly duplicated entries but the different parts of the document are used in the record offices for different purposes.
It records the authority for his various movements which went on a unit document called a Part 2 Order so the first column is for the number of the order.  The entries are:
12 Aug 39 5th Seaforths – his first posting
The next dim lines record his going overseas in August 1942 and arriving in the Middle East with 5 Seaforths (you saw this in the very first clip)
He is in hospital 6 Mar 1943 (as first clip)
Struck off strength Middle East Forces 16 Dec 1943 (as first clip)
The next lines are his postings in different headquarters  within Central Mediterranean Force (as first clip) up to August 1946 which may be near to when he returned home (you may find that on another set of dates on the record you aren’t showing)
In Feb 1947 he is released from service but still subject to recall (Class A) if the war broke out again or he had to go to the Japanese theatre.  In May 1947 he is released Class Z which means he remained liable to recall until the age of 45.
In broad terms, he starts off in the infantry in 1939, he cooks while with them and in 1942 transfers to the Army Catering Corps.  He is in North Africa and Italy cooking at various headquarter units until 1946 (you haven’t shown a sheet with that date) and leaves the army in 1947.

To make a chronological picture you have to meld toegther the various parts of the document to make a time line and note which entries relate to the same occurence.  If you'll forgive me , I'll pass on doing that!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Again must thank you for this.
Making a chronological picture sound very interesting but I am afraid at the age of 83 with little computer skill that is beyond me. To be young and fit to take lessons would be my dream, so that is the reason I find this forum invaluable and can not thank enough the people who give of their time to help the likes of me.
Langwell

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I made it sound more technical than I should have.  What I meant was to simply take a sheet of paper and a pencil and scour each of the sheets for the first date and put the occurrence by it and then carry on down the dates until he was discharged in 1947.  Turning a succession of gobblygook into a coherent story which hopefully you can do now.

Good luck
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Will make at attempt!