Author Topic: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Here are some Common Pleas cases with Richard Aylmer of Norwich.

Hillary term, 1500, second entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H7/CP40no951/aCP40no951fronts/IMG_0896.htm
Norwich. Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, grocer, versus John Castelyn, of Framlyngham Castell, Suff, chapman. Debt of 40 shillings.

Hillary term, 1505, first entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H7/CP40no971/aCP40no971fronts/IMG_0751.htm
Norf. William Bettys, of Hetherset, smith, summoned to answer Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, alderman. Debt of 60 shillings.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/H8/CP40no990/bCP40no990dorses/IMG_1027.htm
Hillary term, 1510, third entry
Norwich. Agnes Bloker, widow of William Bloker, versus Richard Petite, of Norwich, yeoman; and Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, merchant, grocer, alderman. Debt of 15 marks.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:40 BST (UK) »

It's honestly the worst I have ever seen!

Perhaps the clerk finally realised that he was in fact living in the 16th century and it was a bit early to start trying to save the rainforest by saving paper by cramming in as many words as possible on a page ::)

Not quite the worst I've seen willow.
I had some Scottish sasines (land deeds) a few years ago.
Now there's something to make you go cross eyed!
I think I read that the scribes did actually have to buy the paper they were writing on, so made a huge effort to write as small as possible with the most spidery writing imaginable to cram in as much as possible on each page. Talk about a nightmare!

Now, what could possibly have gone wrong with that arrangement? (Where is that emoji of the smiley clubbing its own head when you need it? *g*) One can vividly imagine the sort of person who would think that that was a good idea! We have those today as well ::)

All that together with the Scottish dialect, the old Scots language and specific Scottish law terms made for some interesting times!  :D

Ah, the joys of figuring out a written dialect not one's own ;D Oy! Or as the Scots would say it: Oiie (... I have no idea how the Scots would say it, lololol) I am so glad I was not the one having to sort that out, with legalese to boot! :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Snippet 1: Test(amentu)m Ric(ardi) Aymere (possibly?)

I agree. I can't see an l there either, try as I might.

Snippet 2 line 2: for the year, how about ... mlo vC ix = 1509 ?

That fits perfectly. We know from the other thread that our Richard Aylmer died in 1512.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Snippet 2 end of line 4 - Snippet 3 line 1

... And oure symylitudes to be
set theruppon  And my children(s) symylitud(es) thereupon ...

(= family portraits/effigies to be put on the tombstone?)

I think this must be entirely correct! It plays in perfectly with the below:

The following inscriptions are in the nave; and first of those on brass plates, beginning at the most eastern part, just by the step out of the chancel, lies a large stone, having the effigies of a mayor in his robes, between his two wives; by the first wife are the effigies of her children, two boys and two girls; and by the second four girls; it being placed here in memory of Richard Aylmer, mayor in 1511, son of Robert Aylmer, who was mayor in 1481, and 1492, and Joan his first wife; he died in 1512.

This inscription is printed in Weever's Funeral Monuments, fo. 802, as imperfect, though it is legible at this day:

Aylmer Ricardus Procerum de stipite natus, Is quondam Maior Urbis, iacet hic tumulatus, Hatis cum prima atque suis Consorte Johanna, Moribus ornatus, Bonus omnibus atque benignus, Anno Milleno, D, bind, cum duodeno, Jous semtembris trino, migrabit ob orbe. O bone Christe Thesu, fons bite, spes, Medicina, Votis inclina, te quesumus aure Benigna, Ut sibi sit Requies, bibat terum sine fine.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/History_of_Norfolk/Volume_4

Thanks to somebody very knowledgable and very excellent on these boards, we even have an translation of the above! :)

Richard Aylmer, born of noble stock, a former Mayor of the city, lies buried here (...) with his first wife Joan; he was adorned with qualities, and was good and kind to all; he departed this realm on the third(?) day of September in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and twelve; O good Christ Jesu, source of life, hope and remedy, we beseech you hear our prayers with a kindly ear, so that he may be at rest and may enjoy everlasting life.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
A couple of additions to goldie's work on Snippet #4:

...aforr wyten..........and ev(er)y p(er)sone that will take...

...the blessed Trinitie...

...the iiij orders...

...And they to kepe a solempne dirige...

Oh, excellent! Good catches! :)

I had a problem with locating the Trinity Church of Norwich (I don't think we have searched for that one before!), but I think it must be this one:

Norwich Cathedral - Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity
Norwich Cathedral is an English cathedral located in Norwich, Norfolk, dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity. It is the cathedral church for the Church of England Diocese of Norwich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Cathedral

I couldn't find an alternative either here:

List of churches in Norwich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_churches_in_Norwich

Or here:

The Medieval Churches of Norwich
https://norwichmedievalchurches.org/

Richard Aylmer's father Robert Aylmer (d.1512) also mentions a Trinity Church in Norwich in his will:

Item I bequeith to the modre church of the holy trinitie in Norwich xxs to pray for my sowle

But I don't think we searched for it at the time :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
I took the liberty of assembling what we have so far and got:

Test(amentu)m Ric(ardi) Aymere
In dei nom Amen I Richard Aymere make my testamente and will in my ryghte mynde the yere of our lord
god mlo vC ix [1509] the xjth daye of Auguste/ Fyrst I bequeth my soule to god Almyghty/ And to oure lady synt mary and to
synt petyr myn A? And to all the holy company of hevyn And my body to be buried in synt Peters churche
by my wyffes sepulcor/And I will have a stone that shall Cover her grave and myn/ And oure symylitudes to be

set theruppon  And my children(s) symylitud(es) thereupon/ Also I will have one my burying daye a solempue durge
and a masse of requyem And xij poor folk to have gowns of black fryse and they to holde candles or tapers aboute
my hers [hearse] And they to have eche of them in money iiijd /And ev(er)y prest and Clerkes at my dirige iiijd prestes and ijd Clerkes
And children jd Also I will have on my xxxti daye a solempne dirige and masse of requyem praying for my soule
my wyffes soule and all my frendes soules and all cristen soules And xij pou(er) men to have gownes and money as it is

aforr wyten/ Also I will have a Comon dole (or ?) to ev(e)ry p(ar)isshe within Norwich and ev(er)y p(er)sone that will take
take it jd a pece/ Also I bequeth to the blessed Trinitie w(i)t(h)in Norwich xxs there to syng a solempur durge and masse
of requyem praying for my soule and also my frendes soules and also Cristen soules /Item I bequeth to the iiij orders
of friers within Norwich to ev(er)y order xx s /And they to kepe a solempne dirige and masse of requyem praying for

Not bad :) :D :) *whistles*

Thank you so much, all of you!!! This is utterly brilliant! I have no idea how you managed this!!! :) :D :) You are so incredibly good!!! :) :) :) Thank you so much, Goldie, Bookbox and HD, I am utterly in awe!!! :) :D :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Here are some Common Pleas cases with Richard Aylmer of Norwich.

Hillary term, 1500, second entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H7/CP40no951/aCP40no951fronts/IMG_0896.htm
Norwich. Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, grocer, versus John Castelyn, of Framlyngham Castell, Suff, chapman. Debt of 40 shillings.

Hillary term, 1505, first entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H7/CP40no971/aCP40no971fronts/IMG_0751.htm
Norf. William Bettys, of Hetherset, smith, summoned to answer Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, alderman. Debt of 60 shillings.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/H8/CP40no990/bCP40no990dorses/IMG_1027.htm
Hillary term, 1510, third entry
Norwich. Agnes Bloker, widow of William Bloker, versus Richard Petite, of Norwich, yeoman; and Richard Aylmer, of Norwich, merchant, grocer, alderman. Debt of 15 marks.

Oh, excellent!!! :) These are definitely him!

John Castelyn, of Framlyngham Castell, Suff

Framlingham Castle in Suffolk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framlingham_Castle

Framlingham Castle was where Queen Mary I Tudor stayed and collected her forces before successfully marching on London when John, Duke of Northumberland, had given her crown to Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days' Queen :)

Framlingham Castle has an almost equal claim to fame in that it features in Ed Sheeran's music video Castle on the Hill :)

1510 [...] Richard Petite, of Norwich, yeoman

I have posted the following before, and I am still not sure if John Aylmer of Tunstall is one of our Aylmers, but I wanted to post it due to the fact that now we have Richard Petite in 1510, and we had Robert Petyte in 1486, both in connection with Aylmers :)

Feoffment
Reference: HD 1538/183/9
Title:   Feoffment
Description: 1. Thomas Bernagge, chaplain
John Aylmer of Tunstall
2. George Nycoll of Tadyngton [Tannington]
John Seman sen.
John Gardener of Denyngton [Dennington]
(1) to (2), all their lands and tenements in towns of Wannesden [Wantisden], Chesilford [Chillesford], Butley, Blaxhale [Blaxhall], Tunstall and Rendylysham [Rendlesham]; to hold of chief lords of fees for accustomed services. Witnesses: Edward Rous, esq., Robert Petyte, John Thorn' and many others. Given at Wannesden, 21 May 1 Hen. VII.
Date: 21 May 1486
Held by: Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch, not available at The National Archives
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/0f25b45f-bf53-44bf-a52d-fa90148a591d

Thank you so much!!! :) :) :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 October 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
John Castelyn, of Framlyngham Castell, Suff

Framlingham Castle in Suffolk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framlingham_Castle

Framlingham Castle was where Queen Mary I Tudor stayed and collected her forces before successfully marching on London when John, Duke of Northumberland, had given her crown to Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days' Queen :)

Framlingham Castle has an almost equal claim to fame in that it features in Ed Sheeran's music video Castle on the Hill :)

(Going completely off topic now!)
Framlingham Castle is a lovely place to visit, and another of its claims to fame is that my son went down on one knee and proposed marriage to my daughter in law there :D
I'm familiar with many of the Suffolk places mentioned in this thread, having lived there for 30 years.  Summer visits are highly recommended; winter ................. not so much :-X

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
Willow, I have just scanned though Snippets 5 and 6.  It is all standard stuff - bequests for his soul, his wife's soul, the hospitals, the prisoners, the ankers and ankereses etc.

There's nothing of genealogical interest there and nothing new either.

These early sixteenth century guys can go on in this vein for pages.

My situation is that I'm exhausted after a huge crisis day at my day job and will probably have another similar day tomorrow.

Might we just bypass these snippets until he reaches something of interest?

Keep posting them all in pairs as you have been doing and one of us will scan them, until we find something worth transcribing.