Author Topic: Would Charlesworth come under Hayfield death registration district?  (Read 977 times)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would Charlesworth come under Hayfield death registration district?
« on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace as much as possible about my 3x great grandmother, Fanny Greenwood, born 1797 in Heptonstall, Yorkshire, who in later life was living in Charlesworth, Derbyshire, and I think died in Charlesworth, Derbyshire on 21st January 1866.

I found a difficult to find record in Derbyshire, England, Church of England Burials for a Fanny Greenwood who died in Charlesworth, Derbyshire on 21st January 1866, estimated age 73, born about 1793.

This might be the same person in the England and Wales Civil Registration Death Index of a Fanny Greenwood, born about 1793, died 1866, Quarter Jan, Feb, March.  Age 73.  Hayfield, Derbyshire.  Volume 7b, Page 473.

Would deaths in Charlesworth come under Hayfield?

On the 1861 census she is shown as a widow age 68, though she was 64 according to my reckoning of her birth in 1797.  Living with her daughter Mary and two grandsons.

Is the civil registration the same person as the Church of England burial record?  She was definitely living in the Charlesworth area.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Would Charlesworth come under Hayfield death registration district?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
yes it would.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/hayfield.html

Thanks.  That link does say that Charlesworth comes under the Hayfield registration district between 1894 and 1898, and was created in 1894 from the rural part of the parish of Glossop.

So maybe it was in 1866 when she died?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
From GenUKI:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Charlesworth

The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist.
The church was built in 1849 and the ecclesiastical parish formed that same year out of Glossop.

Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
The parish was in the Hayfield sub-district of the Hayfield Registration District.

And, from Kelly's Directory of 1891:
CHARLESWORTH, on the borders of Cheshire, is a township and parish, formed in 1849 from that of Glossop, including CHISWORTH and SIMMONDLEY, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak civil parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Charlesworth township is 1½ miles west from Dinting station on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles south-west from Glossop, 13 from Manchester and 200½ from London. The church of St. John, erected in 1849 at a cost of £2,700, is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a tower on the north side forming a north transept, and containing one bell, dated 1849: there are 480 sittings, 100 being free. The register dates from the year 1849.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
From GenUKI:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Charlesworth

The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist.
The church was built in 1849 and the ecclesiastical parish formed that same year out of Glossop.

Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
The parish was in the Hayfield sub-district of the Hayfield Registration District.

And, from Kelly's Directory of 1891:
CHARLESWORTH, on the borders of Cheshire, is a township and parish, formed in 1849 from that of Glossop, including CHISWORTH and SIMMONDLEY, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak civil parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Charlesworth township is 1½ miles west from Dinting station on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles south-west from Glossop, 13 from Manchester and 200½ from London. The church of St. John, erected in 1849 at a cost of £2,700, is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a tower on the north side forming a north transept, and containing one bell, dated 1849: there are 480 sittings, 100 being free. The register dates from the year 1849.

Thanks, that information is useful.  It definitely answers my question that Charlesworth is in the registration district of Hayfield.  One day I might be able to look for her grave in that churchyard, and it could be that other family members who I can't trace might be buried with her or near to her.  Fanny going to live in Charlesworth some time between the 1861 and 1871 censuses, seemed to take younger generations of her family with her.  She had been born in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, and moved with her husband and older children to Manchester around 1830, where her youngest child Mary was born. Her husband Henry died some time between 1841 and 1851 in Manchester.  So I am thinking there is a reason an older, widowed woman would move to a place like Charlesworth, Derbyshire, maybe she already had family living there?  The 1861 census in Charlesworth gives her as a housekeeper, so maybe she went to live there for a job, or maybe that just meant that she did the housework and was financially supported by her daughter Mary who was living with her?  And maybe older widows did get pensions back then?  She had two young grandsons living with her so maybe her other children were helping her financially, though I assumed the grandchildren were orphaned.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Fanny Greenwood was buried in the churchyard of St. John the Evangelist, Charlesworth.
There is a memorial, recorded by Derbyshire FHS, - "In Memory of/FANNY GREENWOOD who/died Jan 17 1866 in her 73 year."

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Fanny Greenwood was buried in the churchyard of St. John the Evangelist, Charlesworth.
There is a memorial, recorded by Derbyshire FHS, - "In Memory of/FANNY GREENWOOD who/died Jan 17 1866 in her 73 year."

Thanks for that.