Author Topic: Mary Gribben nee McGhee  (Read 2189 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Gribben nee McGhee
« on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for help locating more info on the above Mary Gribben, and I would also like to find her in the 1851 census.

Mary died 01/01/1863, in Faskines, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland aged 79. Widow of John Gribben a Mineral Labourer. So far i have found 6 children for them - Thomas 1810, James 1811, Mary 1816, Jane 1821, Robert 1825, Patrick 1826. On her death certificate her parents are listed as Arthur McGhee and Isabella Boyle.

In the 1861 Scotland census she is listed as 80yo, from Ireland, living with son James Gribben.

I don't know whether she is in Ireland or in Scotland in 1851. Her daughter Jane McKillen is living in Rasharkin, Antrim with her family.

If anyone can help me find any info, on her or even her husband John Gribben (his death, family Etc) I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Keelan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gribben nee McGhee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Only small fragments of the 1851 (all pre-1901 really) census survives. Have you looked for her in same area as daughter?

Civil registration of deaths in Ireland started in 1864.

Best to see if she was or wasn't in Scotland in 1851 and then see if you can find her in Ireland-http://www.searchforancestors.com/locality/ireland/census1851/

Catholic church registers here once you know the area-
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Pre-Civil registration, where would you locate birth, marriages, and death records? In the parish churches? Or is what is available already online?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
Births (well, baptisms actually) and marriages in church records. Most churches (except Church of Ireland) don't keep burial records.

If you want to check what R.C. registers might be available check the National Library Ireland site I posted earlier. Then, if you need to search earlier dates for a particular parish, click on the Irish Ancestors link down the page to see if earlier records might be available (pay per view, local custody, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
John McGribben a Mineral Labourer m Mary McGhee b~ 1780 ireland, dau of Arthur McGhee and Isabella Boyle.
children you don’t give place of birth for children
Thomas McGribben 1810,
James McGribben 1811 later Mother Mary living with him you don’t give place
Mary McGribben 1816,
Jane McGribben 1821 apparently later married living in Rasharkin Co Antrim with her family you don’t give date and source
Robert McGribben 1825,
Patrick McGribben 1826.

census 1851   see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=false&census_year=1851&surname=mcgribben&firstname=&
entry duplicated under Gribben and Gribler
Gribben Thos  40  b~1811 Male Head Of Family Married Linen Weaver Read Write b Co Antrim
Gribben Ellen   34  b~1817 Female   Wife Married - Spining Yarn Read Write Antrim -
children
Gribben May    13  Female   Daughter Not Married - None Not Read
Gribben Margret 7 Female Daughter
Gribben Cathn 4 Female Daughter
you will need to search the samewebsite for Gribbin and Gribbins
18 in Tamlaght (Rasharkin, Kilconway, Antrim)
19 in Tamlaght (Rasharkin, Kilconway, Antrim)
20 in Tamlaght (Rasharkin, Kilconway, Antrim)
I couldn’t find McGhee living in same parish but did find Boyles Please look up yourself
I don’t have the time .  Possible conclusion Daughter Jane living with John McGribben and isabella Boyles relatives, the McGhees might be spelt different and in an adjoining parish

about 20 years earlier the very incomplete tithes exist they reveal
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/rasharkin-parish.php#.W8DxTy-ZNEI check for spelling  variations
Boyle, Danl. Townland: Glenbuck Year: 1834
Boyle, John Townland: Anticor Year: 1834
Boyle, Neal Townland: Anticor Year: 1834
Boyle, Pat. Townland: Dunneaney Year: 1834
Boyle, Roger Townland: Dunneaney Year: 1834
Gribbin, Danl.      Townland: Tamlaght Year: 1834 see 1851
Gribbins, Danl.   Townland: Gortereigh Year: 1834
Gribbins, Jno.      Townland: Glenbuck Year: 1834
Gribbins, Pegey   Townland: Glenbuck Year: 1834
Gribbins, Thos.   Townland: Gortereigh Year: 1834
The tithes with originals in PRONI Belfast  contain a single line entry giving no genealogical information just acreage rented, and quality of land
its church records
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline rfcsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for help locating more info on the above Mary Gribben, and I would also like to find her in the 1851 census.

Mary died 01/01/1863, in Faskines, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland aged 79. Widow of John Gribben a Mineral Labourer. So far i have found 6 children for them - Thomas 1810, James 1811, Mary 1816, Jane 1821, Robert 1825, Patrick 1826. On her death certificate her parents are listed as Arthur McGhee and Isabella Boyle.

In the 1861 Scotland census she is listed as 80yo, from Ireland, living with son James Gribben.

I don't know whether she is in Ireland or in Scotland in 1851. Her daughter Jane McKillen is living in Rasharkin, Antrim with her family.

If anyone can help me find any info, on her or even her husband John Gribben (his death, family Etc) I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Keelan
John Gribben and Mary McGhee are my 3x great grandparents,according to information I have John Gribben died on 14th of February 1848 in Neilston Renfrewshire,Mary Gribben (McGhee) died on 1st of January 1863 in Old Monkland Lanarkshire.Also I only have details of 5 children for them,no record of Thomas. Hope this helps

Offline Carol Davidson(Gribbin)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi John Gribbin and Mary McGhee are my 3 x GG .l also don't have any knowledge of a Thomas .if l can help get In touch l am off their son  Robert