Author Topic: Looking for Mary Jane Penn, born London around 1843.  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Mary Jane Penn, born London around 1843.
« on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to help a friend with her family tree. Not bought any certificates yet but have some online info....

Mary Jane Stephens (nee Penn) married Robert Burn Watson in St Peter’s, Liverpool on 22 April 1883. Her father was named as William Penn, shoemaker.

Mary Jane and Robert had a daughter Ann Elizabeth, born 16 Sep 1887 (registered in Birkenhead, mother Penn), baptised on 28 Sep 1887, again at St Peter’s, Liverpool.

Not found them in 1891 yet.

Robert died, aged 47, in the June quarter of 1900, registered in Pontypridd (south Wales).

In 1901, Mary Jane and Ann (recorded as Hanna E) are at 17 Wingfield Crescent, Llanbradach, Caerphilly. Mary Jane is recorded as widowed, age 58, born St George’s, London, a bootmaker. Archive RG13 Piece 4997 Folio 58 Page 4.

In 1911, Mary Jane was living with Ann, now married to Walter Charles Whitney, and their children, at 12 Griffin St, Abertillery, Monmouthshire. Says she was aged 67, born London, England. Archive RG14 Piece 31835.

Mary Jane died in June quarter 1912, registered in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, aged 68.

If anyone can find Mary Jane’s birth (I realise it may not have been registered), or father William, a shoemaker, in the early censuses, or a marriage to a Mr Stephens, I would be really grateful. 

Thanks, Deirdre

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Jane Penn, born London around 1843.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary Penn born about 1834 (which I realise is 9 years earlier than you are looking for!) -- living in Newington, Surrey in 1851 wiith father William, Shoemaker and mother Eliza. Birthplace given as Southwark.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Ooh, thanks Pennines, that looks good, i’ll have a look. I had searched the 1851 for a William shoemaker but obviously didn’t find that one.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Stephens (nee Penn) married Robert Burn Watson in St Peter’s, Liverpool on 22 April 1883. Her father was named as William Penn, shoemaker.

Marriage here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8965-9H3S?i=199&cat=122430

Is she the Mary Stevens, 25, born London, in Northampton in 1871?
Mary Penn + Edward Stephens married there in June qtr 1866.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFXR-VKC

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre -- the age is way out but it was the nearest I could find!

I will look further tomorrow -- unless you find someone who fits the age better before that!
I did notice that your Mary Jane had an approx birth year of abt 1848 at the time of her second marriage -- making the age difference even greater -- but her husband was younger than her and that is perhaps why.

I do have my doubts about the one I found as she should have been present in 1841  but I haven't found her, although I did find another William, a shoemaker with an Eliza/Elizabeth with the correct ages rounded down (I've already forgotten the wife's name! (Age related brain shrinkage!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines, i think it looks too good to discount, and there is a Mary with William and Eliza in St Mary Newington in 1841, and siblings George and Sarah. Found all the children with mother Hussey from an un-named child in 1837, registered at St George the Martyr (who may be the Sarah on the 1841) up to Amelia in 1853. And William and Eliza in 1861 but not later so far. Have a possible for Mary at St George’s, Southwark in 1851, as a 17 year old domestic servant.

Also explains why I couldn’t find a marriage as i was starting her age way too late, but not knowing where in the country made it hard  :)

I had the marriage to Robert, but not seen that 1871 census, so will look at that now. Am also hoping to find baptisms.

No mention of the name Jane in the early years though, but it is looking promising, so many thanks.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
A possibility perhaps...
Birth
March 1846 Stepney 2 576
Penn, Mary
mother Matson

But another Mary in Northampton a few years later?
March 1851 Northampton 15 349
Penn, Mary Ann
mother Mattson

The two Mary's in Northampton in 1851
Piece 1739 folio 235 page 15
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGYM-CKZ

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
Best I can come up with for a marriage was at St Sepulchre in Northampton, 11 May 1845
William Penn
+
Elizabeth Mattason

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 October 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon, the Northampton connection is interesting bearing in mind Pennines find.

Been trying to follow the Edward and Mary Stephens Pennines found in 1871..... , no death for Edward so far (so that Mary was a widow and could marry Robert Burn Watson) but i have found what looks like the son Edward in the Northampton union workhouse aged 12 in 1881. But even if his father had died, surely he would have been with Mary  ???