Author Topic: Help with finding 4th to 6th Matches please  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding 4th to 6th Matches please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Just a little reminder. The IGI published sheets by County up until 1992, previous one 1988. Most Libraries have copies. I believe there were CD's after that for a while.

A relative of mine is very interested in his grandmothers family. Out of interest, I had looked up the Census returns which took me back to the oldest from late 18th Century and Wedmore, Somerset. Then I went to the Library and looked for the relevant IGI sheets. On a few pages was the family history back to 1538. Very few people will be that lucky but worth a look.

Timeteam did a programme on Alfred the Great in the Somerset Levels. father and Son landowners now, same name, same village.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
I see that Margaret gave you a link to a similar thread on your previous thread about which  test to do. Towards the end of that, I described how I found my grt grandfather, including the cM ranges of my matches.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796057.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say the usual.

Upload to as many different places as you can, to see different matches. My husband's great niece popped up out of the blue at myheritageDNA, his closest match there.

Also try Gedmatch (unlikely to help at this stage, but you never know) and familytreeDNA. I have also uploaded to livingDNA, but that was in August and I have heard nothing since - most uploads take only a couple of days to see results. Tney are not providing 'cousin' matches at present, due to come in soon.

If not at ancestry, you may get a closer match at one of these sites.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you all for your suggestions. 

Margaret, I am not at all disappointed and am happy with the results I have found.  I suppose I did hope finding my grandmother's origins would be more obvious but I think I was kidding myself. 

I will certainly look at Peter Calver's Lost Cousins DNA masterclass.  I had not noticed others had claimed Robert Richard in their trees.  After exhaustive research I am as certain as I can be that he is mine. 

I have the results from Gedmatch now ::)  I recognise some of them from my ancestry matches. 

I did not know you can upload to other sites?  Which do you suggest?  Is it straightforward?  Is it as easy as Gedmatch.? 

Gadget, yes I read your post but will return to it now and have another look, thank you.

I am on a steep learning curve.

Braytons

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
It is indeed a steep learning curve, I think we all find that.

Myheritage is very easy to upload to. Famiytreedna less easy, you need to go via a third party tool.

Here is a blog post from thednageek.

http://thednageek.com/how-to-transfer-your-ancestrydna-test-to-other-databases/

http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Margaret.

Braytons