Author Topic: A. Glyn Sherwin - Architect in 1930s Newcastle Under Lyme  (Read 1781 times)

Offline staffsuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A. Glyn Sherwin - Architect in 1930s Newcastle Under Lyme
« on: Friday 12 October 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

Well I don't know where to start with this - I'm a complete newby when it comes to searching for records of an individual  :(

I am trying to trace any records (ideally surviving family) of an A. Glyn Sherwin. He had an architectural practise based in Rectory Chambers in Newcastle Under Lyme in the 1930s up until at least the mid 1950s. He was responsible for some notable buildings in North Staffordshire including cinemas, public houses & at least one private residence. I have read one piece naming him that suggested he may have resided in Tunstall.

Through online searches I could find only one record of a 'Arthur G. Sherwin' who died in Hemel Hempstead in 1966. Having just spoken to their BDM office they suggested that person's profession wasn't a match so was unlikely to be the man I am looking for. They couldn't say if the 'G' was Glyn. Just to add I have sometimes seen Glyn spelt Glynn.

I am currently researching his christian name for which I have found one record that suggests it was Alfred (London Gazette, 11th December 1956).

Oh my - where to start?!

Any pointers would be gratefully received  :)

Thanks!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A. Glyn Sherwin - Architect in 1930s Newcastle Under Lyme
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi he could be the Alfred G Sherwin b c 1898 with wife Dora in 1939 Stone, Staffs?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
There's an article in the Western Gazette 17 October 1941, under the heading the heading Hampshire Down Sheep Breeders, 14 new members elected of which one was Alfred Glyn Sherwin of Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire.

Which is most likely the A. Glyn Sherwin that you are researching.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
There is a Service record for Alfred Glyn Sherwin born 1898, Thentham Staffs.
Trade - Architect's pupil.

Possible death -

Alfred G Sherwin
Death Age - 62
Registration Date - Jun 1961
Registration district - Crewe
Inferred County - Cheshire
Vol 10a Page 250

Probate for the above death has the name Alfred Glyn Sherwin.

JJ

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
THE LONDON GAZETTE, 11 .DECEMBER, .1956     https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/40946/page/7045/data.pdf

Dissolve partnership Alfred Glyn Sherwin and David Nigel Heath,  Architects and Surveyors  The.Rectory Chambers, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs

Kay

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
There is a RAF Service record for Alfred Glyn Sherwin.
Date of birth - 31 Aug 1898
Father - B J E Sherwin (Bertie John Edge Sherwin)
Abode - Holmlea, Hem Heath, Trentham, Staffs
Special qualifications - Studied the design and construction of aeroplanes and motors for the past 6 months and of buildings including factories for a period of 3 1/2 years.

JJ

Offline staffsuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Oh wow - you lot are amazing - JJ how on earth did you find all of that information!!  :o

So he was a sheep breeder as well - amazing!

Kay - yes that was the piece I also found stating his forename as Alfred.

My aim is to hopefully find surviving family in the hope they may have kept records of his work, or know of buildings he was responsible for. He is my architectural idol. This is the private residence he designed which was completed in 1938 http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/images/full/271e98e3157d5ac0f1c6075996f760a6417becf2.html

I'm thinking now how to find any surviving family. If he was interred in Cheshire as recorded (possibly Crewe) I could maybe start a search of the graves in the cemeteries? The hope would be to find any children he may have had who may be named on the headstone.

Any other suggestions about how I could locate any surviving family? Maybe if I can find the exact date of death (order the death certificate from Cheshire BDM?) and then search the local newspapers for any announcements?

If (when!) I find his grave I will buy him a great bunch of flowers to lay at his resting place  :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, his probate on Ancestry states he was of Cherry Orchard Farm, Poole near Nantwich Cheshire and died 6th June 1961 The Memorial Hospital Crewe he left a large sum of money to a Spinster G M Palmer who is possibly still alive, I do not believe the couple in 1939 had any children, but it is him.
Keyboard86

The Spinster G M Taylor could be the one b 6th April 1910 who died 2002 Stafford aged 92?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Alfred G Sherwin married Dora Hulme in 1922 at Christ Church, Fenton, Staffs. There doesn't appear to be any children born to this marriage.

1911 for Alfred, he has a brother Reginald but unfortunately he died in 1914, so that line cannot be followed  ???

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW7H-1TP

JJ