Author Topic: A. Glyn Sherwin - Architect in 1930s Newcastle Under Lyme  (Read 1775 times)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A. Glyn Sherwin - Architect in 1930s Newcastle Under Lyme
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Dora Sherwin of The Warren, Longton Road, Barlaston, Staffs died 29 March 1967. Probate to Hilda Majorie Evans and Freda May Hulme. Effects £5465.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Another newspaper article -

Birmingham Daily Post 25 March 1960. There's an article reporting on a hunt where a horse called Good Catch owned by A Glyn Sherwin of Cheshire appears.

I would be tempted to purchase the death cert from 1961 to ensure it's the correct person.

JJ

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi again, I wonder if the address on the Service Record of Alfred G Sherwin is Hem Heath, which possibly is a coincedence , as close to a Gladys Mary Palmer b c 1910 Ash Green, Father James Mother Flora in 1911?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline staffsuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for this. I have no idea how you have managed to find all of this - and to be so generous in giving your time and to share the information!  :-[

JJ was there a date for the record you found giving his 'Holmlea' abode in Hem Heath? I located the property searching old maps which named the houses. It still stands and it's a tiny unassuming bungalow. Also just to add I have just found some records of planning applications for a few simple town houses made by Sherwin & Heath (the name of their practice before Alfred went it alone) as well as a factory in Crewe. This ties in with mention of his studying factory buildings in that record. I only found these after being given the cheshire connection - so thanks for that  :)

Cherry Orchard Farm is in a completely different league which also still stands in Nantwich. That would perhaps tie into sheep breeding & horse ownership?

I just ordered the 1961 death certificate - £11 but it looks like the order has been sent to Cheshire East BDM who will then locate it, copy it & post it to me so it could take a little time to arrive.

I found a division of Cheshire East Council called Orbitas who have burial records for the area - I'll contact them on Monday.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
:) Hi again, I wonder if the address on the Service Record of Alfred G Sherwin is Hem Heath, which possibly is a coincedence , as close to a Gladys Mary Palmer b c 1910 Ash Green, Father James Mother Flora in 1911?
Keyboard86

Hi again, please come back when you receive the death certificate, Gladys Mary Palmer looks to have been a trusted friend?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
JJ was there a date for the record you found giving his 'Holmlea' abode in Hem Heath? I located the property searching old maps which named the houses. It still stands and it's a tiny unassuming bungalow.

The date was ? April 1918, attended No 5 cadet wing. His address is the same as that given for his father therefore I presume the bungalow was his fathers.

JJ

Offline staffsuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ & Keyboard 86!

OK that makes sense re: the bungalow - he would have been aged 20 then living in his father's home  :)

Him studying aeroplanes & motors also fits with his style of architecture which took emphasis from the 'machine age' of streamlined style aeroplanes, cars & trains etc.

I'll come back to you as soon as the certificate arrives, and if I find any record of a grave.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Good Luck, A. Glyn Sherwin seems to be a most interesting person to research  :)

He was also the architect for the Danilo Cinema, Stoke, Staffs, and the Broadway cinema, Meir.

JJ

Offline staffsuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ for all your help so far!!

Yes The Danilo was a fabulous Art Deco cinema - alas demolished some years back. Similarly The Broadway Cinema in Meir - again demolished :(

His residential commission The Uplands still stands and is an outstanding exercise in 1930s modernism.

The only other 1930s building I know he designed that still stands thus far is The Station Hotel in Meir. It's currently boarded up awaiting demolition for new housing :(

Thanks again!