Author Topic: HELP interpreting information in Griffiths Valuation  (Read 1772 times)

Offline dsnow11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP interpreting information in Griffiths Valuation
« on: Saturday 13 October 18 04:39 BST (UK) »
I can't find any information on how to interpret 3 specific things in Griffiths Valuation, and am hoping someone here can help me:

1. in the house books there is a column for 'quality letter'. Is 1A the most superior quality and 3C the worst? What might a 3C dwelling be constructed from?
2. is the height of a building noted in a field book the total height (including roof), or just from the ground to the top of the wall?
3. the final published valuation (1853, Tipperary) of the farming area my ancestors lived and leased land in has quite a few dwellings that were intact in the field books but are now listed as "down" and thus struck off. I can understand a few falling over from natural attrition, but there are so many I'm wondering if at least some of these were the result of evictions and the deliberate destruction of dwellings (?)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP interpreting information in Griffiths Valuation
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Did you read the info on each type of book here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/vob/home.jsp
Not sure it gives the detail you would like.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 October 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
From that 3C is
3 Thatched house with stone walls with mud or puddle mortar; dry stone walls pointed or mud walls of the best kind.
C. Old and out of repair.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
1. Most probably an old/out of repair dwelling, with clay/mud walls.
3. The only way to avoid the rates (tax), was to take the roof off. So, unoccupied or unused dwellings for anything other than a temporary period were invariably de-roofed. Always noted as "down"
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline dsnow11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
thanks for your suggestion Hallmark, it is much appreciated, but I've already gone over the toolkit with a fine tooth comb

Offline dsnow11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Sinann and Wexflyer! Greatly appreciated. I did read the information at the National Archives, but didn't find the information you provided Sinann, is that where you found it?

Offline dsnow11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
I checked again Sinann and found exactly what you suggested and what I needed re query 1. The issue was my computer screen cutting off the left hand side of the table (I coped and pasted, and magically, it was revealed!)