Author Topic: Anson in the Cape pre 1820  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Anson in the Cape pre 1820
« on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, hopefully someone can shed some light on this! A family history has Sgt Thomaas Davis of the 24th Regt of Fòot marrying Anne Anson in Cape Town in 1807. He was presumably part of the force that took the Cape the previous year. His birth in Owestry checks out, but although someone captured Anne as having been born in 1786 in Newark upon Trent, I haven't seen a document tying the two together. Even if that is the same Anne Ansom, there is nothing in her family records to explain why she would be in the Cape at that time. As far as references to Ansons are concerned, Commodore Anson stopped in at the Cape in 1774 on the final leg of his circumnavigation, and John Anson and his family arrived in 1820.  Any help would be appreciated.
Stevens Bolus Goulding Pike Davis

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anson in the Cape pre 1820
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Walter, what church did they belong to ? Did they say and have children and die in South Africa?

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
It's possible that she was the widow of another soldier.

There was a Private Vere Anson in the 24th regiment around that time (enlisted in 1797). He married Ann Farrow in Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1803. Can't find any further record of him.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
All I have is that she was married to Sgt Thomas Davis of HM 24th Foot, at Cape Town by the R Jones Chaplain to the Foreces at the Cape, on 30/9/1807. A couple of years later the Regiment sailed for India, and their children - John, David and Rosanna - were baptized at Fort William. The parents are listed as having died in 1818 in Dinapore. I suspect it was from cholera, as there was a massive cholera epidemic sweeping through that part of India then. It's not know how the children went back to England, but David Davis joined the Royal Artillery when he was 14 in 1826. He had children in several countries and at sea, depending upon his postings, and they seem to have been baptized by the nearest Army padre, as some were baptized CoE and some as Catholic. I didn't think that Anne could have been widowed. What was the maiden name?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Ann was aged 37 years and 2 months when she died per the burial record (7 October 1818) so she must have been born in July 1781 or thereabouts. A year older than Thomas.

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry in my haste to reply I didn't notice you'd included Anne's maiden name, Farrow. You may be right the she is Thomas' Davis' bride. She had a child (Rose) with Vere or Dere Anson in 1805 but there is no further mention of her. Perhaps she is the Rosanna that is listed as a child of the Davis'?
Presumably Anson died in the British capture of the Cape, or soon thereafter.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Rose Anson died in Woodbridge in 1806. Buried on 22nd May.

I see that "Rosanna" was baptised Rose Hannah.

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Anne Farrow, widow of Dere/Vere Anson seems so compelling apart from the discrepancy in birth dates, Shaun. Could there be an explanation for that, such as a misunderstanding about her age by those at her death?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
What discrepancy?