Author Topic: Redditch baptisms ~ CHAMBERS  (Read 2687 times)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Redditch baptisms ~ CHAMBERS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 18 04:57 BST (UK) »
Here's a death notice:
"DIED ... on the 11th inst. suddenly at Yardley, aged 48 years. Mr George Chambers, painter and glazier, of Deritend; deeply regretted."

Birmingham Daily Post, Thursday, May 19, 1859 pg3

So now I'm not sure, as his occupation on the 1851 is plumber?  :-\

Modified to add: this is the death reg: Solihull 6d/268 Jun qtr 1859

Modified again, I think this probably is your George. Some mentions in newspapers of James CHAMBERS, plumber and glazier of Redditch. I have to go out now, but will post some more info when I get back.  ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
The 1811 Marriage that Emeltom noted has James as a Widower and Elizabeth a Spinster.

So he may have married 2 Elizabeths
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
James/Elizabeth christened a JOHN HEMMINGS Chambers 6 Oct 1822 Redditch + RICHARD 25 Aug 1818.

1851 John is in Warwickshire, Plumber/Glazier, born c 1821 Reddick, Worcestershire (as transc)

1841 he is in Worcs, age 20 and a Painter.
Interestingly there is a Edward Hemmings and Wife next door.

You may already have Richards Marriage to Hannah Green 1841, Father James.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
A Tree has Edward Hemmings marrying Hannah Horton 21/6/1807 Alvechurch
(I cant confirm this)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 October 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all

This is truly amazing. Thanks so much for finding George's death - it's just about done my head in!

Yes that is George in 1841 married to Susan Horton       

And thank you for the info on John Hemmings CHAMBERS as I hadn't discovered him at all so that opens up more possibilities.       

Fantastic work everyone and much appreciated  ;D     

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
I see from a previous thread that James CHAMBERS was definitely a plumber
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783643.msg6383705#msg6383705

As I mentioned yesterday, there are a few mentions of James in newspapers of the day,  including a James CHAMBERS (painter and glazier) bankrupt in 1831 (I'm assuming this is the father and not the son James who was also a plumber and glazier born c1811).

Also a mention of a "disorderly apprentice"
"Disorderly apprentice - Mr James Chambers, plumber and glazier, of Redditch, charged his apprentice with misconducting himself, and prayed the Bench to cancel his indentures. The Magistrates adjourned the case for a week."
Worcestershire Chronicle, Wednesday, August 18, 1841

There is a death notice for James (the son) in 1856, however no other family notices that might shed some light on James (the father)'s marriages that I can find.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 October 18 03:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I had spotted bits of those items and had decided that the James mentioned in 1831 was the son (and I didn't know what the item referred to only that it mentioned James Chambers late or formerly of Redditch). So you think the father?? More investigating!

I also wondered about George the 'plumber' in 1851. He was a painter in 1841. But James was a plumber and glazier, he had another brother, Richard who was a painter and a third brother, John who was a plumber and glazier in 1851 after having been a painter in 1841.

Can you see Redditch burials at all?

If so could you look for any records for James senior and his wife Elizabeth or an earlier wife Elizabeth please.

Many thanks

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 18 04:15 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but I notice in Pigot's that "Plumbers, Painters and Glaziers" are together as one trade.

Will have another look for burials, I recall seeing a couple of Elizabeth's that looked possible, but nothing conclusive.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
Well that's great - perhaps explains the differing occupations. Fantastic thanks