Author Topic: James Ross  (Read 4876 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Ross
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 October 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Regarding the second Ross on those marriage lines for James and Isabella,  I  think he was George Ogilvie Ross. Therefore second letter an O.

This George was the Superintendent of the Printing Office,  married to a Dorothea. They were having children in the early 1800s in Cape Town.

I haven't firmed up but this George was reputed to be the son of a John Ross and Lady Jane Ogilvie. Also supposed to have been born in Edinburgh in the mid 1770s. He died relatively young in the London area in 1825 in unhappy circumstances. See https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1800&_q=%22george+ogilvie+ross%22

Dorothea remained in England till her death and remarried.

Interesting...but how to possibly connect this to your James...assuming there is a family connection between them.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
You mentioned George Ogilive Ross being in the printing office, what is interesting is James and Isabella Ross's son Robert McMillan Ross married Margaret Solomon the sister of Saul Solomon who was in the newspaper printing business.

So George Ogilive Ross married a Dutch girl. Dorothea Catharina Steyn. All their children were baptized in the Dutch reformed church. the first 3 children of 7 died as infants.

Will look at the others of the same time period. Thanks
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Some details seem to be available re Hamilton Ross, merchant of Cape Town http://atom.lib.uct.ac.za/index.php/hamilton-ross-papers

Lots of family trees for him following his marriage to Catherina Elizabeth van den Berg.

Bio here www.geni.com/people/Lieut-Hamilton-Ross/6000000014328326210

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
This site has all the Ross's you mentioned and more - http://www.southafricansettlers.com/?page_id=15036

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline newuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I came across your thread on James Ross and Isabella Lamont by chance. I have just finished transcribing the will of Patrick Colquhoun (Lord Provost of Glasgow and later London magistrate, police reformer etc). He refers to his niece 'Isabella the wife of James Ross now resident at the Cape of Good Hope'. She was the daughter of his sister Mary Lamont (nee Colquhoun). I am fairly confident that these are the same people as it looks like they named their 6th child 'Patrick Colquhoun' (see post by MonicaL, 13 Oct 2018). Hope the information is useful.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 June 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi newuser, wow, your info is great! yes that definitely  sounds like the Isabella and James I am looking for. Will research it and post what I find. thanks newuser

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
Found her parents marriage. John Lamont and Mary Colquhoun- married on the 22 Sep 1775 Port Glasgow. Mary's father Adam Colquhoun, no fathers name for John.
Also found a sister for Isabella Lamont , Mary Ann Lamont christened 10 Jul 1784 Port Glasgow-https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1PR-SQ4

Still cannot find a christening for Isabella. Family search has transcribed all the baptism in collection -Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950, were I found Mary Ann.

So were do I look now?

Offline newuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 June 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Karytay, that sounds about right - same year as her brother Patrick was married. Father, Adam Colquhoun was Keeper of the Register of Sasines for Dumbartonshire, died around 1753. Mother was called Isabel Colquhoun.

Both Isabella and Mary Ann are mentioned in Patrick's will, as is their brother John Lamont. A codicil to the will dated April 1820 refers to Mary (Patrick's sister) as living in Greenock. Patrick left money for her in case her son John died before her and she would become destitute. No mention of what happened to John Lamont Sr.

I cannot find baptisms for Isabella or John Jr either, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Isabella Lamont died 12 Feb 1844 Port Elizabeth, Cape Colony, South Africa. On her grave it gives her age as 63, so that makes her birth about 1781.

As for her husband James Ross he died 5 Jun 1832 in Cape Town, he was 59. So his birth date is about 1773 some place in Scotland.
 James and Isabella's first child was a boy named John Alexander b. 1812 but he died in 1813 age 1year and 8 months. Could this name be that of James Ross's father?
The only girl to be born to James and Isabella is Mary Helen b. 1816 d. 1850. Could Helen be James's mother's name?