Author Topic: Cine Film Restoration - "They Shall Not Grow Old"  (Read 3369 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Cine Film Restoration - "They Shall Not Grow Old"
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Have just returned from one of our local showings of the film.

It is very powerful, and indeed upsetting.

Peter Jackson, in his live q&a session afterwards, said that he wanted everyone to look up their own history as they would most likely have had family who had served and possibly died in the war.

He was celebrating his grandfather - who died (of the effects of his WWI service) before he was born - and felt he had got close to him in the work he had done on the film.

Recommended.  It will stay with me for a long time.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
I also saw it tonight - quite expensive and not in 3D   8) 

However, it was amazing and a wonderful tribute to those who served.

CD

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
I would love to see the treatment he gave to the Dambusters. I worked in a hotel in Lincoln when it was being filmed there and met all the stars. Do you know if it is available anywhere?

I think the Dambusters project has been shelved

Nope, as I said in my previous post, I saw the Peter Jackson version of The Dambusters at his theatre in Wellington, NZ.  It was a fundraising event for the Missing Wingman Trust! We were served with nibbles and drinks and entertainment by the RNZAF Brass Band before moving on into the theatre for the movie!   The whole thing was totally mind blowing! A huge screen, loud music, as we were sitting in the front row it was pretty spectacular! Just about blown out of the theatre!!!  With my Dad having served in the RNZAF, he would have loved it!  Sadly, he had passed away before it was produced, I remember him having a record of the Dambuster's March, it was his favourite!

Despite searching the net, sadly, I haven't been able to find the film online anywhere!! Probably not old enough to be put onto YouTube yet!  I might phone
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
" I haven't been able to find the film online anywhere!!"

see reply #12

I heard that it will be broadcast on T.V. middle of November.

So said Dan Snow

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
Have just returned from one of our local showings of the film.

It is very powerful, and indeed upsetting.

I agree. I was quite unprepared for how much some parts affected me, especially the shell bombardments. My Grandad's brother was killed when a shell hit his dug-out, so that part really hit home.  It was extremely well done though, and I'm pleased I saw it on the full cinema screen.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
The film started in black and white but when it shifted suddenly into full colour, I was startled, even though of course, I knew this was going to happen.  It suddenly seemed that the Chaplinesque cinematography had gone and I felt that I was suddenly seeing things from a present tense. 

It does make for emotional and at times upsetting viewing.  I feel haunted by one scene in particular, which I did find distressing to see.   I started to write about this on here but have deleted this part of my post as this might be upsetting to the sensitive. 

However, there are also scenes of camaraderie and humour amongst the soldiers.

This is an extraordinary film and I am glad I got the opportunity to go and see it.  It is something I will never forget.  I can only echo what Peter Jackson said - please find out if you have ancestors who served/died in the war - research them and see to it that this information is passed on so that they may not be forgotten.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
The few short excerpts I have seen do give a greater sense of now,the old grainy film footage ,even after the speed had been sorted out so the movements were not jerky had distance,but were still hard watching.
This will seem so much more real,especially to younger people used to a technicolour world.
What a shame it is not more available,just hope everyone who would like to see it manages to do that on November 11th.
There is a great deal going on on Belgium at least,not sure about France.
The service from St Marten’s Cathedral will be relayed on to a huge screen in
the Grote Markt,the big square where the Cloth Hall is and which leads to the Menin Gate with its 35,000+ names of the missing from the four year long fighting in that area,and along past Hell Fire Corner and the road to Passchendaele and the huge Tyne Cot cemetery.
I don’t know how near we will be or what we will see but to be there will be
well ....wonderful,heartbreaking,thankful,words are not enough.
I heard first hand from my Dad , just an ordinary man,well teenager when he was called up,having been in The Derby Scheme he was almost 19.
Just after the Somme and he was captured just before Passchendaele which probably saved his life as The Kings Liverpool saw heavy action in the Hoogh
area ,a cemetery lies just behind the new Hoogh Chateau.
Not entirely sure of exact dates but he did serve albeit for only about 9 months.I have the form informing his family of him being missing ,perhaps just separated from his unit or captured but not necessarily killed.
To look at that unassuming quiet man you could not believe he could charge with fixed bayonet,but he would have done.
He has my lasting admiration,we will go back toHill 60 where his ashes were
scattered at his request.I have not been for a long time.
I am looking forward to the next day when hopefully we will get to some of the cemeteries when not so crowded.
Viktoria.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12143782

https://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/5599797/peter-jacksons-wwi-film-to-premiere-in-uk/

JM

Thank you for the link Majm, the last sentence in the article says it all!  "No known screening in NZ at present"!  Guess I just have to be patient!  Oh well, I've still got a good few years yet!!  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections