Author Topic: Thomas Thomas  (Read 1718 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Thomas
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 16:29 BST (UK) »

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »

Can the other graves be checked the same way to tell us who else is buried beside Mary, young Margaret and Thomas?

If not i've been advised to plan a trip to Hollinwoid Crematorium to have a look there x

I'm sending you a PM with the details rather than post all the other names here - they don't appear to be related

Edit

PM has been sent with all the names listed with Thomas, Mary & Margaret
hope you find it helpful  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
the grave for Margaret is correct, I already had this information.

Robert and Emily were my great grandparents and Albert was their son.

I dont know exactly who Harry was.

Harry was aged 9 weeks and has a different address to Margaret Butterworth & the Jones'
his address 105 Coalshaw Green Rd;Chadderton

Looking at FreeBMD this is probably his birth/death entry

Births Sep 1926    Oldham    8d   1280   
Harry BUTTERWORTH    mmn Johnson   

Deaths Dec 1926    Oldham    8d   1077      
Harry Butterworth   age    0   

Edit

for information don't know if it's related or not the death of
 Thomas Thomas in 1905 his address  was Boston Street Oldham

Margaret Thomas married Lot Butterworth in 1906
Lot's address on burial 11 Boston Street , Oldham

Cemetery     Section Grave     date        position   name                 address
Hollinwood   E13   86   20/04/1918   6   Lot Butterworth    11 Boston St;Oldham
                                                                        Age 56 years

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Really quick response from GRO for Thomas Thomas death certificate is as follows;

Date and Place of Death: 24th June 1905, (cant read this word) Lane Mill Yard, Higginshaw, Royton
Name: Thomas Thomas          Age and Sex: 53 years, male   
Informant Name: Certificate received from F.H Molesworth, Coroner for Lancashire, Inquest held 27th June 1905.          Date of Registration:    27th June 1905
Causes of Death: 1. Died from injuries to the body caused by being accidentally run over by a (cant read the next word) lorry laden with cotton. Lived 5 minutes.

The address is different from the grave record. I've been in the past to look up Boston Street Electors roll but there is in record for the street after 1895. Perhaps the accident was in the paper - it may say his next of kin perhaps. The certificate also does not mention him being a carter at all.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just for information

175 Shaw Road was a lodging house and Thomas Thomas, 50 yrs was a Railway Carter in 1901 census.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Really quick response from GRO for Thomas Thomas death certificate is as follows;

Date and Place of Death: 24th June 1905, (cant read this word) Lane Mill Yard, Higginshaw, Royton
Name: Thomas Thomas          Age and Sex: 53 years, male   
Informant Name: Certificate received from F.H Molesworth, Coroner for Lancashire,
Inquest held 27th June 1905.          Date of Registration:    27th June 1905
Causes of Death: 1. Died from injuries to the body caused by being accidentally run over by a (cant read the next word) lorry laden with cotton. Lived 5 minutes.

The address is different from the grave record.

I've been in the past to look up Boston Street Electors roll but there is in record for the street after 1895.

Perhaps the accident was in the paper - it may say his next of kin perhaps.
The certificate also does not mention him being a carter at all.

Emily's father Thomas' occupation on her 1900 m/c was an out side worker

I rechecked the burial just in case I'd made a mistake but it does say address
Boston Street Oldham, Thomas burial 29th June 1905, Thomas 53 years old

As there was an inquest perhaps it's mentioned in the papers

Just for information

175 Shaw Road was a lodging house and Thomas Thomas, 50 yrs was a Railway Carter in 1901 census.

Thanks for giving the number of the house 1901 census posted earlier on thread

1901 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9LH-X72
Thomas Thomas age 50 Harpurhey, Lancashire
Residence Note   Shaw Road, Oldham
Occupation   RAILWAY CARTER
Relationship to Head of Household   Lodger
Schedule Type   105 Page Number   14

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
I've got this record now, it seems to fill in all the gaps; it confirms this is the correct Tom Thomas and clears up the carter question. It is a sad story but it's good to at least be aware of it. Thank you all for your help!

Oldham Chronicle, 27th June 1905
THE MILL FATALITY AT HEYSIDE – INQUEST AND VERDICT

Today (Tuesday) Mr F N Molesworth, district county coroner, held an inquest at the Lancashire Hotel Heyside on Thomas Thomas, a Welshman, who was killed at the Moss Lane Spinning Company on Saturday morning. Margaret Thomas, 16 Boston Street, off Ashton Road, identified the body as that of her husband who she said was 53 years of age and was an out-door labourer with some slight knowledge of carting. William Dawson 14 years of age, son of Edward Dawson, carrier, Henthorne street, Oldham, said that he and deceased went to the Moss Lane Mill on Saturday morning in charge of two horses and a lorry laiden with fifteen bales of cotton. When they reached the factory he told Thomas not to take the lorry further until witness had been to see the warehouseman and came back again. Deceased replied that he could get round the boiler house all right. When witness came back he found deceased had not taken a big enough round and had been pinched between the lorry and the wall which caused his death. Deceased was quite sober. If he had waited until witness came back the accident would not have occurred. John James Len, cardroom operative at Moss Lane Mill said the horse swerved and knocked deceased down. When he went up to him he died in his arms. P.C Jones stated that there were bruises on the neck and chin and a mark across the chest where a wheel of the lorry had passed over. A verdict of ‘Accidental Death’ was recorded. Mr Crabtree, factory inspector was present as was also Mr Wm ??? Managing Directorof the Moss Lane Spinning Company. The coroner complimented the witness Dawson on the smart manner in which he had given his evidence.