Author Topic: Cyrus- died 1730 in Bath  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cyrus- died 1730 in Bath
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:59 GMT (UK) »
David-
I have now found the bill for the church burial of Cyrus- dated May 8th 1730, so it looks like 'Bath, St Michael's. 7 May 1730:a Black boy was Buried in the Church yard' does in fact refer to him, despite the fact the family were worshipping at Mr Stevenson's church. Poor nameless Cyrus! The breakdown of the bill is 11/- 'due to the church, 2/- 'due to the minister', 1/- 'to the Clerk', 1/- 'for the certificate' 4/- 'for Ringing the bell', 4/- 'for makeing the Grave', a coffin 14/-, a shroud 8/-, totalling £2:5s, so the remaining £1:5s must have been for refreshments for the mourners.
RG4-55 drew a blank for the baptism of Cyrus.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I meant also to say that the bill is receipted on the back by Susanna Axford.

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline ScotLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 October 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Lesley, can I ask about the John RUNCIMAN you mention? Is there anything known about him? He was servant to the Baillie family.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 October 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast burials (transcription only) -

First Name - Black Boy
Last Name - not recorded
Burial Date - 7 May 1730
Denomination - Anglican
Place - Bath
Church - St. Michael

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 October 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you- the Baillie family almost certainly told the vicar or clerk what Cyrus' name was (though that was probably only his assumed name), so it's a shame he was nameless in the register.

ScotLad- I'm sorry, I know nothing else about John Runciman. I don't think he had been in the family's service long, as his name doesn't appear in lists of servants' wages, but footmen came and went quite frequently. William Adam had subcontracted the building of the new house at Mellerstain to a builder named James RUNCIMAN (invariably spelled Runchiman by Lady Grisell, giving a clue to the C18th pronunciation of the name) in the late 1720s, so there is possibly a connection there. If John Runciman was a footman, he is likely to have been young and unmarried.
Regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline ScotLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 October 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Lesley- we live by little snippets and the connection to Mellerstain House is very interesting. My RUNCIMAN ancestors are in Mellerstain country, & we’re probably tenants of the Earl of Haddington.

It’s possible the James Runciman you refer to may be one of the Runciman wrights from Edinburgh, father or grandfather of the Scottish artists, Alexander & John R.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 October 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, James Runciman building Mellerstain is the father of Alexander, the painter. There is a landscape c1773 in the library at Mellerstain which is thought may be by Alexander Runciman.

What known Runciman ancestors do you have in the area?
Webster- Northowram

Offline ScotLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 October 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info Lesley.

My Runcimans are in Haddingtonshire. (Now East Lothian). Richard R was born in North Berwick in 1701. As a married man he farmed a smallholding named ‘Whaup Knowe’ and worshipped at Tynninghame Church from c1730. Earl of Haddington enlarged his own private grounds around Tynninghame House by rehousing the parishioners from their cottages & building a new village of Tynninghame in 1761. Richard is known to be at Castleton Farm in 1760s.

We have a reputed family connection to the artists which we’d like to prove. Additionally I discovered that artist Alexander had a son named John to an unnamed woman with whom he lived in Edinburgh. John was a silversmith in London in 1802 according to an article of that date in The Scots Magazine. I haven’t managed to trace him so far. He was the only descendant of the artists.