Author Topic: Widower: how long to remarry?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Widower: how long to remarry?
« on: Monday 15 October 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has any known cases of a widower with children remarrying in the 1800s in Ireland, preferably a Catholic.  How long did it take, from the death of the first wife to the second marriage?

I'm afraid I myself don't have any definitely known examples to contribute.

Bonus question: can a sibling be a baptism sponsor (for the baptism of his or her sibling)?

Second bonus: what would the minimum age be for a baptism sponsor?  I know I have definitely seen a 12.  But I'm wondering if someone who was 11 could be one.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Widower: how long to remarry?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
They could marry any time, lots of widowers married quite soon after as they needed someone to care for the children.

Yes a sibling can be a sponsor as long as they have made their confirmation. My eldest brother is my youngest brother's godfather, he was 13 at the time.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:11 BST (UK) »
Just looking at one, wife died Oct 1895, he remarried June 1897, about a year and a half.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
They could marry any time, lots of widowers married quite soon after as they needed someone to care for the children.

Yes a sibling can be a sponsor as long as they have made their confirmation. My eldest brother is my youngest brother's godfather, he was 13 at the time.

My knowledge is restricted to English widowers in 19thC (R.C.) One whose wife died as a result of childbirth was married again, to a widow, within 6 months. The baby was youngest of 7. I read some articles last week on attitudes to mourning in Victorian England. A widow was expected to mourn her husband for approximately 2 years. Acceptable mourning period of a widower was much less. A father of young children was expected to find a replacement mother-figure.

My brother, aged 13, was my sponsor. I was between 10 and 12 when I was first invited to be a godmother. I declined the honour, more than once. I think there's a preferred minimum age now. It seemed to be more lax when I was young.
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 18 05:22 BST (UK) »
Widower: As has been stated, correctly, there was no minimum waiting period.
Godparents: There was/is no age requirement, as such. The requirement is that the godparent is confirmed.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the responses.

I was considering a gap of 25 months between the last child of the first marriage and the first of the second.  No other clues really, except for the baptisms.  I wasn't sure if that was too short a time, but now that I've heard these responses, it seems likely to me that it was the same father, and that he remarried, after his first wife died.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Re Godparents;
Some babies are confirmed if thought to be in danger of death.  So having being confirmed may not be the only requirement to be a Godparent.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 October 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
I have a husbands death 26/02/1919 and his widow remarrying 08/06/1919, he had left 3 children

I thought it surprisingly quick

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 October 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
I know of a situation where the first wife had been very ill over a number of years and the woman who  was to become the second wife nursed her and seems to have been in situ, so to speak, before she died, marrying the man about 8 months later. There were also small children involved there.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344