Author Topic: Urquhart & Logie Wester  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Jude Mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Urquhart & Logie Wester
« on: Monday 15 October 18 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hugh MacDonald married Mary MacKenzie 21 Dec 1797 Urquhart & Logie Wester. They had children Grizel b 1798 Dunvorning (Braes of Dunvornie?),  twins Macolm (Malcolm) & Finlay b. 1801 Braes of Dunvornie.
Malcolm McDonald married Catherine Cameron 1825 Urray, Ross. He is my g-g-grandfather.
I have been unable to find what happened to Finlay. There are no death records which seem to be him.
To confuse matters, Family Search have another Hugh MacDonald married Mary MacKenzie, with children Finlay b. 1805, Christian b. 1808 & Ann b. 1810, all in Urquhart & Glenmoriston.  As hard as I try, I have been unable to prove whether they are the same people, or not.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Urquhart & Logie Wester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
On Scotland's People there is only one marriage of Hugh MacDonald & Mary Mackenzie.
The births you mentioned are as you recorded Grizel spelt Mac, the boys Mc.

There are other MacDonald births in the period with the mother Mary Mackenzie but the father is Donald at Applecross.

There are very few parishes in R & C where death records exist on SP.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed all the baptisms in both parishes on Scotland's People? Do they give names of witnesses that might provide a clue?

Quite a concidence that they should have moved from Urquhart in Ross and Cromarty to Urquhart in Inverness-shire, but the dates do fit quite well.

Do not attempt to read anything into whether the names are spelled Mac- or Mc-.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
I notice on SP the following marriages:

MCDONALD   FINLAY   ISOBEL MACLENNAN   04/03/1821   Urray

Also the are two marriages for a Finlay in Urquhart and Glenmoriston, however they were 1815 & 1817, too young for Finlay born 1805.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jude Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for answering.
Unfortunately, not any of those baptism records have a witness mentioned.

I have seen that marriage of Finlay to Isobel MacLennan, and will investigate further.

I shall go back to Family Search to see if they have a record of the origin of the other marriage between Hugh MacDonald & Mary MacKenzie. I, too, found only 1 in SP.

My family don't seem to have followed any naming patterns when naming their children. I don't know how common it was to stick to those patterns.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
I had a look on SP for deaths of M*d*n*ld with mother's surname M*k*z* and date of birth 1805 plus or minus 10 years. This turned up 4 pages of results. You could do the same and see if you think any of them match those baptisms. There might be a clue on one of the death certificates, for example a death registered by a sibling or a nephew or niece.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
I think naming patterns can be of help but not followed to the letter by some families, in my experience, especially from the late 19th century onwards.

I’m not sure if you found any census returns, I found none for Malcolm but I did find the following:

FINLAY  MCDONALD* married   ISOBEL MACLENNAN*   04/03/1821   Urray
Children on SP:
William 1822, Janet 1824*, John 1826 & 1831*, Donald

*On 1851 census at Urray – Finlay, hand loom weaver born Urray 1797 (No record on SP)

FINLAY  MCDONALD* married GRACE FRASER* 3/11/1829 Urquhart and Glenmoriston
Children on SP:
Donald 1830*, Hugh 1833*, Duncan 1835 & 1840*, Mary 1838

* On 1851 census at Urquhart and Glenmoriston – Finlay, Ag Lab born there 1804

Colin

Offline Jude Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 05:35 BST (UK) »
I have attached the birth entry for Finla, born 1805 to Hugh MacDonald & Mary MacKenzie in Urquhart Glenmoriston. I would much appreciate if someone could decipher what is written after "wright".

The other two children I mentioned, Christian & Ann, were both born to Hugh MacDonald Wright in (what looks like LochPeter), in Urquhart Glenmoriston. I have been unable to find any record of LochPeter. - I decided to attach that as well.

Thanks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
The first one is "in Fassag" but the next two words defeat me. ("Caphal lacitiliter"?)The only Fas(s)a(i)g that springs to mind is the one near Loch Torridon, but that isn't in the parish of Urquhart and Glemoriston so there must have been another one.

The second one is "in Lochleter". That will be Lochletter, which is at the east end of Loch Meiklie in Glen Urquhart. 
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.3341&lon=-4.5953&layers=5&b=1
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH4429