Author Topic: Grandmothers birth certificate required.  (Read 1443 times)

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmothers birth certificate required.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks every one for giving me all the links for Irish nationality.

lancsann you have hit the nail on the head of course Northern Ireland is in the UK.

I would still like to get the birth information for my grandmother Elizabeth Hamilton/Nuttal born
14 May 1879 in Manchester.

Peter

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
I would still like to get the birth information for my grandmother Elizabeth Hamilton/Nuttal born
14 May 1879 in Manchester.

What is the info. given on the birth certs. of any/all of her children?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
I believe you can claim Irish nationality back through grandparents but why would you want a EU passport? If grandparents were born in Belfast that is still part of the UK. Only Southern Ireland (Eire) is an EU member state in its own right

According to the links I posted above (Reply #4) it looks to me as though you qualify for Irish citizenship if you were born anywhere on the island of Ireland, not just in the Republic. The same applies if you are claiming through having an Irish ancestor - they could have been born in the north.

In any case, if you're going back to ancestors born before 1922, Ireland was then all one country. The Republic's citizenship rules reflect that - even for those born since then.

(I'm not a lawyer or citizenship expert, but am merely going on what I think the sites say. The second one has an interactive questionnaire which may help you to work out your entitlement, if any.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Rosinish

When Elizabeth married James Mackness in 1898 she gave her father’s name as John Hamilton

All her children are born in various addresses in Islington, London.

On the first 4 of her children birth certificates her maiden name is Hamilton her 4 remaining children she changed her maiden name to Nuttall. This was after she and her mother went to court over a family heirloom according to family stories.

Peter

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:28 BST (UK) »

When Elizabeth married James Mackness in 1898 she gave her father’s name as John Hamilton

I would think from that she knew that John Nuttall was not her father.  It was quite common for an illegitimate child to make up a father when they married.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
You are right Arthurk. I read that article after I had posted

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, doesn't matter if you are born in Ireland or Northern Ireland for claiming Irish citizenship. My children (born N.I. in 1990s) all can claim Irish citizenship because they have a parent born on the island of Ireland (after Partition).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!