Author Topic: McCLEANs from KILLESHANDRA area  (Read 2912 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McCLEANs from KILLESHANDRA area
« on: Monday 15 October 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Im from the US and looking for any McCleans from the Killeshandra area, specifically Drumgoa.

For over a decade, I have been trying to find the origin of my McLain ancestors who came into Dublin city in the early 1700s working as carpenters and glaziers. I was recently able, through Y-DNA,to identify them as a part of an ancient Irish farming cluster that originated in the old kingdom of Breifne in west Cavan, which to my knowledge was an Irish family named Maclean that originated in this area with no relation to Scotland. For a long time, I thought my ancestors had emigrated from Scotland at some point either as early gallowglass mercenaries or later protestant settlers. Recent developments in the DNA field disproved that theory when I was confirmed A5902+ which is a mutation that arose around the Cavan/Leitrim border in the lands of the ORourkes, McGoverns, McKiernans, OReillys. There is a townland in templeport named Carnmaclean which references this old family and would explain why all my closest DNA matches are to McGoverns (Carnmaclean is in Tullyhaw aka Magaurans Country).  An entry in the Ulster Annals from 1486 notes a man named Gille-Eoin, whose sons Alan & Ruiadhri were slain assisting the ORourkes & MacRannels with an interfamily rivalry among the MacRannels of Leitrim.  Could this be the pregenitor of this family?

Although pre-1700 records in the area are scant, I found the McCleans concentrated in Killeshandra parish in the 1664 hearth rolls. The 1664 hearth rolls only exist for Tullyhunco & half of Tullyhaw (none for Leitrim). But the 1659 Penders census notes several *McGilEoin* families around Mohill & Carrigallen in Leitrim. I do believe there was a much larger family spread out through Breifne just for the fact that in the 1641 claimants, there are several identified on the Cavan/Monaghan border:
Gillis McClane, rebel in Carrickmacross, burglary/robbery, 23 Oct 1641
William McKealane of Killarow, rebel in Dromgoon, 1641
Maa Mc Callane, of Ralaghan, rebel in Drumgoon, armed robbery, 1641
Ever Mc Callane, rebel in Carrickmacross, robbery & arson, 1641

The reason I am interested in the family that is connected to Dromgoa is because it seems they were able to stay on this land for centuries and if they were present there today, would be the descendants of this original family who were tenants of the MacKiernans of Tullyhunco before the Plantation. Drumgoa may be their original ancestral land-holding in Breifne.

DRUMGOA, KILLESHANDRA, TULLYHUNCO land records...

1664- Patrick McClain (hearth tax)
1832- Bryan & Michael McClean, 32 acres (Tithe books)
1857- John & Bernard McClean, 41 acres (Griffiths Valuation)
1901- McClean Heads of Households :Edward, Thos, Wm, John(Census)
1911- McClean Heads of Households: Thos, John, Wm, Edw., Thos (Census)

A google search of the surname with Drumgoa turned up very recent obituaries of McCleans who live in Drumgoa, and it would be a really strange coincidence if they werent descendants of the original farmer tenants of this place 400+ years ago.

If any possible distant relatives can get in touch with me, Id love to not only hear about the McCleans history in Cavan but also arrange a Y-DNA test if they are willing to do so.

Thank you!
Chris (McLain) Beal
Maclean-variants; Cavan-Westmeath

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCLEANs from KILLESHANDRA area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:17 BST (UK) »

Religion?
The McCleans in Killeshandra would be catholic. My ancestors who came into Dublin did so as recent converts circa 1700, I believe some were soldiers at the time, where attendance to Anglican services was mandatory. They probably came out of the Killeshandra area in the period post-Cromwell.

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Religion?
The McCleans in Killeshandra would be catholic. My ancestors who came into Dublin did so as recent converts circa 1700, I believe some were soldiers at the time, where attendance to Anglican services was mandatory. They probably came out of the Killeshandra area in the period post-Cromwell.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Going back that far a community notice included in the parish newsletter might be worth a try??

https://www.corloughtempleport.com/newletters2/  they are quite active there on history!!

http://www.templeport.ie/pages/history.html

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Going back that far a community notice included in the parish newsletter might be worth a try??

https://www.corloughtempleport.com/newletters2/  they are quite active there on history!!

http://www.templeport.ie/pages/history.html

Wow thats a great idea, thank you!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
ORourke's Castle was the first place where gunpowder was used in Ireland!   ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:54 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 18 20:05 BST (UK) »