Author Topic: help to find person  (Read 14030 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: help to find person
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
You posted before you aren't sure of the daughters name

There is a Mary Kate Phillips born to Mary Phillips (domestic servant) in Navan in 1914
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1914/01423/1584222.pdf

If you are sure she had a daughter, then this is the only child with the surname Phillips, born to a Mary Phillips between 1911 and 1916

In searched for Mary Phillips living in Meath in 1911, and there is only 2 unmarried Mary Phillips - one is a 40 year nun and the other is only 11 - so hopefully too young to have a child in 1914 (only 14). This means it is likely that the Mary Phillips who gave birth to the daughter Mary Phillips is from outside of Co Meath...

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
This was a brilliant piece of detective work. How you deciphered their names from that page is anyone's guess :) It took me a few goes and even then zoom on the lap top finally did it!

Her choice of birth name runs in the family. Her mother was Mary, she was Mary and now her daughter was Mary. The middle name Kate, her sister was Catherine, known to the family as Kate.
 There is no father detailed. Again this fits as "dad" couldn't own up (legally at least).
Being a domestic servant fits as well. I believe in her teenage years/ early twenties she worked at a local (Dumbarton) print works though I'm not sure. In a strange land with no "qualifications" I would think domestic servant work would be a Godsend especially in her condition.

I would really like to know the mother's age at birth. That would be the clincher.
Thanks again.

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Further to your findings
Mary was said to have enjoyed the very early years of her sister Catherine (Kate's) children. They were born 1910 and 1912 so 1914 for her in Ireland fits. As you have found she would not be recorded as living in Meath before ~1914 as she would be in Scotland.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 October 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
I searched for a death for a Mary Phillips as a teenager and wasn't able to find one though, so it may not be you Mary's daughter.

Are you sure the child was female?

You can search for all children born with the surname Phillips with a mothers maiden name of Phillips on Irish Genealogy, I only checked the female babies, as I was looking for an Ivy and hoping it might be a middle name or something.

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
The name Ivy may be a red herring. I think it was mentioned by my mother once maybe 50 years ago after Mary's death. I may have picked it up wrong. Anyway as you can see from my recent replies I am fairly sure the details fit for this being the correct Mary, but I am going to try to find out Mary's age at the time of her daughter's birth. It should be ~30. If not then a rethink required.  :(

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 October 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Navan Union Hopsital where Mary Kate was born seems to be part of (or at least on the same site as) Navan Union Workhouse, records are available in Meath County Library.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Navan/

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Meath County Library have been in touch. Admission records for the hospital do not exist. It was not a workhouse by 1914 but still under Poor Law administrators. Obviously records were lost. I will try irishgenealogy.ie to see if there is any further info on this Mary and her daughter.

Thankyou for the advances so far

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update. let's hope you can confirm or eliminate Mary & Mary Kate somehow.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON