Author Topic: help to find person  (Read 14029 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: help to find person
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could give us a bit more information on Mary Phillips

Where/when was she born, who were her parents

Where do you last have her on census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite sure from your posts if everything fits so perhaps you could clarify a few things.

great aunt who traveled from Scotland to Ireland in the period 1912 to 1915. She stayed in Ireland for a few years (don't know where in Ireland!). I believe she had a child who tragically contracted diphtheria or meningitis and died as a teenager. She then possibly traveled back to Scotland.
If child was born and died somewhere in Ireland then did Mary stay in Ireland for quite a few years?
Could she have married over here?
Have you looked for here in 1911 Scottish census yet?
Have you looked for a death in Scotland?
Do you know Mary's exact date of birth, father's name and occupation and mother's maiden name?

Sorry for all the questions but every little bit helps
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry for delay in posting.
Mary Phillips was born July 26th 1884 in Alexandria, County of Dumbarton. Her sister Catherine born 1886. Her parents were Colin Phillips (Bottler) and Mary McCrimmon. (She had two older brothers Robert and Thomas - Census of 1881)
 Census for 1911 shows Mary at age 26 in Bonhill district. I have a census ref 493/6/5
 I met Mary in Kirn near Dunoon in Argyll while she stayed in her sister Catherine's house.

I have had a new post (from aghadowey) so I can give some more info here.
I'm afraid all family info about Mary is sketchy to say the least. The story is she moved to Ireland to be with "someone". With that man she had a child. She could not (legitimately) marry that man. He was married. Whether she stayed in Ireland with the child I have no idea but we (my sister and I) think she did. We also think on the death of the child she returned to UK. Where, when, I have no idea. I have recently travelled to Dunoon and found her grave. She died 12th January 1969
Thank you all for your help and continued interest  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
Any chance of an old address book stuffed in the back of a drawer to help get a location in Ireland?

It's possible, based on Mary's birthdate, that the child was born after the indexes for civil records stop (1916). If, and this is just an if, Mary and her child lived in Northern Ireland (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, Tyrone) then the indexes on Irish Genealogy site stop at 1921 for marriages and deaths.

However, GRONI's database for N.I. deaths goes up to 50 years ago so I'm off to check...

Added- no luck for a N.I. death for a child Ivy Phil*
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 22:48 BST (UK) »

In the 1911 census for Bonhill there is a William Affleck aged 22 with the same ref as the Phillips.
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
That's interesting. Does "with the same reference" mean staying in same house (under the one roof). Would you be included on that reference if you were just visiting at the time?

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Yes,I would say under the one roof. A quick search of the index didn't show up much except that he MIGHT have been born in Dumfries. But that's just a quick scan of the records. I came upon him by luck because he was near the beginning of many pages. Just thought I would mention it in case the name rang a bell.
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if the story that the child died as a teenager covered up an adoption....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline cunundrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
I don't think so. As expected it was a traumatic event for her and personal circumstances that made it very difficult.
We think she converted to Catholicism at sometime around this death. She was from a protestant family but I think her sister (my Grandmother Catherine) was confided in on Mary's return to UK.
This may help with records searching but I have no idea where to look for an event like that.