Author Topic: Finding birth date from mi  (Read 3383 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding birth date from mi
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Wellesley
MOORE, ROBERT  ALFRED WILFRED WELLESLEY   FRANCIS 
GRO Reference: 1898  J Quarter in DEPWADE  Volume 04B  Page 236
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Eliza Moore death registration - 1904 - Depwade - aged 47

Marriage 1907 - Depwade - William Moore and Fanny Charlotte Potter appear on the same page (487)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline plug44

• RootsChat Extra
  • constantly correcting
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
yes I do have all the census from 1871 onwards but im still bemused because he was 89 when he died so birth surely was 1857 not 1856, am I missing something?
lodge forest of Dean, yorkshire
odling
everson
futter
fulcher
moore

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
I still don't understand your problem.   :-\

William's MI says that he died on 14 February 1946 and was aged 89.  BUT if he was born AFTER 14 February 1856 then he would not have reached his 90th birthday, would he?  Plus, William did not write his own MI, and so the information is only as good as the informant's knowledge of him.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
im still bemused because he was 89 when he died so birth surely was 1857 not 1856, am I missing something?

A small inaccuracy on age listed at death is not unusual.  If other information (electoral rolls, 1939 register, censuses etc) tie in with your person there should be no problem.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
yes I have read all of that, and gone through it, unfortunately it doesn't tie up with the William I am looking for so I am now looking for William b.1857 and in the depwade district as his family of 10 children were all from there

Why doesn't it?

Fact - 'your' William Moore d.14/2/1946 aged 89 (Ilketshall)
Fact - this man is in Suffolk 1939 with birthdate 22/3/1856 (has right occupation) - he would indeed have been 89 when he died (not 90 until the following month)
Fact - this man was married to Eliza Francis and had 10 children - she died 1904 and he then married Fanny Charlotte Potter in 1907 (she died 1937).
Fact - census show this man born Winfarthing.
Fact - I've shown on your other thread that he would appear to be the William Garrard bp.5/4/1856 Winfarthing, son of Mary Ann, who married a Henry Moore in June qtr.1856 (his birth originally indexed as Garred by GRO - original index page spelt Garrod.   However, on the new GRO index on their own site this birth is now shown as William Moore.

The title of both your topics is 'finding a birthdate' - the answer is simple as I explained in your other thread - since his birthdate not shown on his baptism 5/4/1856 you need to purchase a copy of his birth certificate which on GRO's new own index in the name of William Moore (prev. Garred) - Mar.1856 Guiltcross.

Until you do this you will continue to go round and round in circles - when others on your threads refer to certificates (like getting his marriage certificate to Eliza for instance) you appear to ignore this.   You are working back from an MI trying to confirm who this man was and when exactly he was born but with no confirmation from any certificates which in this instance is the only way to go.   

He gives his own birthdate as 22/3/1856, he was born Winfarthing, and everything points to him being the William Garrard bp.5/4/1856 Winfarthing, son of Mary Ann who swiftly married Henry Moore.   Birth originally reg'd by GRO as previously stated but in their new and own online index he is now listed as William Moore (suggesting his father Henry must have been shown on his birth certificate even though parents not married at the time of his birth).

So, the only way to solve this is by purchasing the birth certificate which should confirm a birthdate of 22/3/1856.   I don't know how more explicit I can be.  If you don't do this you will continue to go round and round in circles.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Is this William's will?

William Moore of Garden House, Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk died 14 February 1946.  Probate Norwich to Walter Allured, solicitor's clerk.  Effects £537.11s.8d.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
But I would like to throw a little spanner into the works...

Whilst all the information given ties up with a suggested entry in the GRO birth index, a small but not quantifiable number of births were not registered between the start of civil registration in 1837 and 1874 when the law changed to put the onus of registration onto the parents. Registrations between these dates were the responsibility of the registrar to collect.

If the cert that has been suggested is not correct, then there may not be one to find.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
If you don't want to lose the £6 cost of a cert by pdf in case it is incorrect, you can always order from the GRO without using the reference but you have to be specific with his name, date of birth and parents details.

If the entry suggested does not match any one of the details you provide, you should receive a refund.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea