Author Topic: Look up for George and Hannah Hodgkins of Coppieholt Stoke Pound  (Read 3960 times)

Offline lidybut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up for George and Hannah Hodgkins of Coppieholt Stoke Pound
« on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
I'm back after a long time away due to my illness  After finding a Death penny while clearing my brother house. I'm thinking that this may have been a relative of mine. The name on it was A HODGKINS  Born in DUDLEY and died 19 Oct 1918  and his parents are George and Hannah HODGKINGS  from  Coppieholt  Stoke Pound Bromsgrove. This is all that I know of the parents names sorry. A HODGKINS was killed  and is buried British Cemetery Kalamarie Greese. .When I was very little I remembered  a name Hudson I'm wondering if it was HODGKINGS Lol ..Any help would be most helpful and Appreciated .  Lidybut x
Hodgkins Dudley. Parsons Warwickshire ?  Taylor Leicester .Arthur Taylor Leicestershire.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Look up for George and Hannah Hodgkins of Coppieholt Stoke Pound
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Commonwealth War Graves Commission has;

HODGKINS
Private
ALBERT******
Saturday, October 19, 1918
Age 21
MIKRA BRITISH CEMETERY, KALAMARIA
Worcestershire Regiment
United Kingdom
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
The only George and Hannah Hodgkins I can see in the Censuses are living in Dudley. George is a Glass Cutter born Gornal c1864 and in 1901 he and wife Hannah have several children including Albert born 1897. By 1911 Hannah is a Widow and is still in Dudley with son Albert Edward.

There is a baptism for an Albert Edward Hodgkins  Sep 1897 Dudley 6c 102 mmn Turner.

Whether or not this is the correct family, I have no idea. I cannot find a Stoke Pound, Bromsgrove in the Censuses.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
I came up with the same info :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lidybut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Trish1120.... I have this information already thank you x
Emelton .Dose it give names for  all other children and Date of birth  ? I'm trying to fit my dad in with these people Did Hannah remarry ? Thank you x
Hodgkins Dudley. Parsons Warwickshire ?  Taylor Leicester .Arthur Taylor Leicestershire.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Looking at both the 1901 and 1911 Cenuses the children are
Eliza 1883
John 1887
Alice 1891
Albert 1898
Samuel 1900
Joseph 1905

Mothers maiden name is Turner

Marriage

George Hodgkins/Anna Turner Dec 1811 Dudley 6c 157

Emeltom

Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
George HODGKINS age 18 married Anna TURNER, age 19, 12 Dec 1881,Sedgley Parish, Lower Gornall, Stafford
Both Single
Fathers, John Hodgkins and John Turner
(Familysearch.Org)

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
The only George and Hannah Hodgkins I can see in the Censuses are living in Dudley. George is a Glass Cutter born Gornal c1864 and in 1901 he and wife Hannah have several children including Albert born 1897. By 1911 Hannah is a Widow and is still in Dudley with son Albert Edward.

There is a baptism for an Albert Edward Hodgkins  Sep 1897 Dudley 6c 102 mmn Turner.

Whether or not this is the correct family, I have no idea. I cannot find a Stoke Pound, Bromsgrove in the Censuses.

Emeltom
Here is Stoke Pound, in a curve of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal and ESE of Stoke Heath.
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/396222/267834/12/101160

It is between some canal locks, the stretch between locks is called a pound and there is a large house called Stoke Coourt just N of it, so it would appear that that would be the reason for calling it Stoke  Pound.
If you can find the census entries for Stoke Court you may well find the others for the village walk around there.
If you look at the 1969/73 map and follow the road, called Copyholt Lane on modern maps, towards the ESE you will finnd a Copyholt Farm switch to an earlier map, say 1903, and you will  the buildings there but un-named. There are tree symbols there as well which might indicate an orchard but could mean there is a coppice there.
Coppieholt could come from Coppice/Copse sometimes pronounced without the sibilant sound,
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline lidybut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 October 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Found another bible this was inside it  .E A Hodgkins  6/97 Upper Highgate street .Basal Heath Birmingham 12 ..With another name Mary Taylor 8 Mill Hill Belgrade Leicester are these two connected as my dad mother was a Mary Taylor. Many Thanks x