Author Topic: Recommendations for a paid for or free tree builder  (Read 4785 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a paid for or free tree builder
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:11 BST (UK) »

Free     

Editable on-line     

( or just edit the gedcom file off line )     

Reloadable/refreshable from that amended gedcom.     

ZoomPast.com     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
For much of my career I used to test and assess software. I am very impressed with ZoomPast. It is supposedly not yet ready for  mobile devices, but it still works very well on my Android tablet, as well as on PCs. It also works perfectly OK offline if you load it in your browser (no local software is needed) while you have Internet access. It has a unique but easy to learn Interface, much like using a map.  It's not my main software, but I think it will grow in popularity.  Totally free.

Martin

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
a lone voice in the wilderness here

I have a tree online. Its not custom generated, I tried a few of the available programs years ago and found that they didn't suit me.

So I set to and built my own tree.

I have a filing system on my computer, a folder for each generation, and a zillion subfolders for the people, children of the people, and grandchildren of the people in each generation. That is backed up about 5 different ways. Every snippet of info, every reference to those snippets is saved into the individual's folder.

Then I have a website, password protected and carefully monitored. Each person has a page and I record all the documents and their references, and tell their 'story' and show any pictures I have that relate to their lives. That too is backed up in various ways. Plus I have all the original files on my computer.

Oh and I also have the filing cabinet, stuffed with folders for each person with printed versions of all the info. No matter what changes there are in computer technology, they will still be readable in 100 years time :-)

I am sure that a custom built 'programme' would have been simpler/quicker for me to use, but it just didn't suit me.

I could have built a tree on one of the many commercial sites, but again that's not what I wanted.

Each to their own, but the bottom line is, think about it carefully and make your own decision about what suits 'you' and do bear in mind that though the programme is available now and works with a current operating system, it may not do in the future.
Whether that future is reached in the next week, month, year,  decade, or even century it 'may' not work at some stage.

I've put a LOT of time, effort and hard cash into my research, I want to make sure its still around in some format for future generations

Boo

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
My program of choice is Roots Magic which uses a SQLite database. If the main program lacks something you want (which seems unlikely) the database can be queried in any way you can think of using SQLite. The free RootsMagic Essentials does not limit the number of people or events you can enter.

No connection, just a satisfied user.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
I’m getting Family Historian.

I sent them an email asking if one licence allows use on computer and laptop. They answered very promptly with a “yes, it allows use on 2 computers”.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 11:21 BST (UK) »

Free     

Editable on-line     

( or just edit the gedcom file off line )     

Reloadable/refreshable from that amended gedcom.     

ZoomPast.com     

Ray

Thanks Ray & Martin, I had a look at Zoompast and have added my extended tree to that site.
It seems to be well thought out and a useful way to share family tree information with either the public, limited groups of individuals or indeed kept private.

I look forward to playing about with it and seeing just how good it is.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Zoompast sounds interesting, thanks Ray and Martin. I'm going to have a close look at it as well.  :)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for their thoughts, ideas and recommendations, like a few other people Zoompast looks good. cheers, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields