Author Topic: Lunatic Asylum in or near Greetham.  (Read 3349 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic Asylum in or near Greetham.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
I've found a couple of lists of mental hospitals, though there don't appear to be any close to Greetham to which she could have commuted on a daily basis. The nearest ones seem to have been the Leicester Borough Asylum and the Leicester and Rutland Asylum. Anyway, have a look at the lists and see what you make of them:

https://www.countyasylums.co.uk/the-asylum-list/

https://historic-hospitals.com/mental-hospitals-in-britain-and-ireland/asylums-in-the-united-kingdom-in-1898/

If she was a single mother, as the birth registration suggests, then it's quite possible that the address in Greetham was the home of her parents or another relative, so in 1891 she could be almost anywhere in the country.

Thank you. The later was a concern I had. Another being she had been sent away to have her baby.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline Itterbysearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse matters, there is a village called Greetham in Lincolnshire, near the Town of Horncastle

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 October 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse matters, there is a village called Greetham in Lincolnshire, near the Town of Horncastle

I knew it would be a long shot when I posted my request. But we can live in hope.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 October 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
In case Mary Stubbs (informant at 1893 birth) might be connected, here are a couple more surnames to consider.

In 1891 she's in Greetham with husband William, and two children; the birth of the younger one, Priscilla, was registered in Oakham district in Sep qtr 1875, with mmn AVERY.

Also with them in 1891 is a granddaughter Blanche M Weldon, born Long Eaton. Her birth was registered in Shardlow in Dec qtr 1882 with the spelling WHELDON, mmn Stubbs.

What else do you have on James Rowlie French, other than his birth? Any census returns, marriage certificate, service record etc?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
In case Mary Stubbs (informant at 1893 birth) might be connected, here are a couple more surnames to consider.

In 1891 she's in Greetham with husband William, and two children; the birth of the younger one, Priscilla, was registered in Oakham district in Sep qtr 1875, with mmn AVERY.

Also with them in 1891 is a granddaughter Blanche M Weldon, born Long Eaton. Her birth was registered in Shardlow in Dec qtr 1882 with the spelling WHELDON, mmn Stubbs.

What else do you have on James Rowlie French, other than his birth? Any census returns, marriage certificate, service record etc?

Thank you for that. I was told by James's grear grandaughter that he was adopted by James and Mary Rowlett and he took on the Rowlett surname. He was living in Stanground District in 1901 census. He married Margaret Isbister in 1919 Paddington.  1939 living in Orton Longueville Peterborough.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 October 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
She may not be connected, but there is a Clare/Clara French in Stamford, approximately 10 miles from Greetham, in 1891. She was a parlour maid, born in Atherstone in 1868 (GRO has 1870).

May just be a coincidence, but a Clarie French married a George Charles Fraser in Liverpool in 1898. In 1901, born in Atherstone in 1870, she was an Asylum Nurse in Croydon.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9XK-CWD

David

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 October 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
David's find looks good, but meanwhile I'm intrigued by the similarity between the surnames Rowlett and Rowley, and I wonder if there's a bit more to this than meets the eye. I've done a bit of hunting and come up with the following, but there's more that could be looked into which I don't really have time to do at present.

1901 census - James and Mary A Rowlett in Stanground - household includes James F and a married daughter Sarah E Robinson, 22. Could she be the Sarah E Rowlatt with birth reg Dec qtr 1891 in Kettering, mmn Clarke? (Incidentally, James junior is listed as born Grantham, with Rutlandshire crossed out and Lincs inserted - presumably the enumerator misread the household schedule and the checking clerk changed the county instead of the town.)

1911 census - James in Fletton. Married but wife not present; length of marriage (crossed out) 32 yrs. This might point to marriage in Peterborough Dec qtr 1877, James Rowlett and Mary Annie King at same reference. Note discrepancy with Sarah's mother's maiden name above - can this be explained?

1911 census household includes as boarders Alice Rowley, 29, said to be married, and her daughter Violet Alice, 3, born Hackney. Note re-appearance of Rowley. Also Violet's birth registration (Dec qtr 1907 Hackney) has no mmn, which might suggest that Alice wasn't actually married.

As well as the things I've noted, I'm wondering if James Rowlett might actually be father of James Rowlie French, and he took him in because Clara was unwilling or unable to look after him. Maybe her new husband didn't want James around?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 October 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
If Clara/Clarie French is the right person, she married again to Robert Saxby in Islington, Q1 1905. Living in Islington in 1911.

She then seems to have married Lieb Rosner in Rochford District Q2 1928 and died Q4 1936 in Worthing District.

Rowlie/Rowlett sounds promising.

David

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 October 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
She may not be connected, but there is a Clare/Clara French in Stamford, approximately 10 miles from Greetham, in 1891. She was a parlour maid, born in Atherstone in 1868 (GRO has 1870).

May just be a coincidence, but a Clarie French married a George Charles Fraser in Liverpool in 1898. In 1901, born in Atherstone in 1870, she was an Asylum Nurse in Croydon.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9XK-CWD

David

Thank you for the information. It will give me something to look at.