Author Topic: Lunatic Asylum in or near Greetham.  (Read 3354 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic Asylum in or near Greetham.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 October 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
David's find looks good, but meanwhile I'm intrigued by the similarity between the surnames Rowlett and Rowley, and I wonder if there's a bit more to this than meets the eye. I've done a bit of hunting and come up with the following, but there's more that could be looked into which I don't really have time to do at present.

1901 census - James and Mary A Rowlett in Stanground - household includes James F and a married daughter Sarah E Robinson, 22. Could she be the Sarah E Rowlatt with birth reg Dec qtr 1891 in Kettering, mmn Clarke? (Incidentally, James junior is listed as born Grantham, with Rutlandshire crossed out and Lincs inserted - presumably the enumerator misread the household schedule and the checking clerk changed the county instead of the town.)

1911 census - James in Fletton. Married but wife not present; length of marriage (crossed out) 32 yrs. This might point to marriage in Peterborough Dec qtr 1877, James Rowlett and Mary Annie King at same reference. Note discrepancy with Sarah's mother's maiden name above - can this be explained?

1911 census household includes as boarders Alice Rowley, 29, said to be married, and her daughter Violet Alice, 3, born Hackney. Note re-appearance of Rowley. Also Violet's birth registration (Dec qtr 1907 Hackney) has no mmn, which might suggest that Alice wasn't actually married.

As well as the things I've noted, I'm wondering if James Rowlett might actually be father of James Rowlie French, and he took him in because Clara was unwilling or unable to look after him. Maybe her new husband didn't want James around?

Thank you, there's lots of information there for me to work through and look at. I had initially researched the Rowlett's and had made a connection with Fotheringhay, which is heading towards Kettering from Peterborough but when I was told James was adopted I assumed the research had been a waste of time. If family stories are true the Rowlett men all seemed to have problems keeping faithful to their wives.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Some additional information on Clara French of Atherstone:-

Richard Bradford of Witherley married Mary Bosworth in Sibson on 5th September 1830.

Elizabeth Bradford baptised in Sibstone (Sibson), Leicestershire, on 6th March 1831, daughter of Richard and Mary.

Elizabeth Bradford married Francis French on 16th October 1854 in Atherstone. Witnesses - John and Ann Bradford.

I can't find a baptism for Clara but there are some for her siblings:-
William - 5th October 1862 in Atherstone
Elizabeth - 6th August 1865
Catherine - 1st March 1868

David

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 October 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Some additional information on Clara French of Atherstone:-

Richard Bradford of Witherley married Mary Bosworth in Sibson on 5th September 1830.

Elizabeth Bradford baptised in Sibstone (Sibson), Leicestershire, on 6th March 1831, daughter of Richard and Mary.

Elizabeth Bradford married Francis French on 16th October 1854 in Atherstone. Witnesses - John and Ann Bradford.

I can't find a baptism for Clara but there are some for her siblings:-
William - 5th October 1862 in Atherstone
Elizabeth - 6th August 1865
Catherine - 1st March 1868

David

thank you David.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline caldrivertwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 April 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I was just flicking through the list of topics and came across this.
I don't know of an asylum in Greetham, but there was a private asylum at Greatford Hall which is about 4.5 miles from Stamford.
It was quite famous in it's day as it was owned and run by Dr Willis who treated George 111 there in the late 18C.
The Hall was destroyed by fire in 1922 so was in place during the time period your interested in.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cal

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 April 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I was just flicking through the list of topics and came across this.
I don't know of an asylum in Greetham, but there was a private asylum at Greatford Hall which is about 4.5 miles from Stamford.
It was quite famous in it's day as it was owned and run by Dr Willis who treated George 111 there in the late 18C.
The Hall was destroyed by fire in 1922 so was in place during the time period your interested in.

Hope this helps

Hi Cal,

Thank you for that information. I will have a closer look, there maybe information somewhere regarding employees.

Since first posting this I have had a couple of DNA matches and together we have pieced together Clara's family.

Thanks
Cal