Author Topic: Thomas Chester  (Read 1460 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Chester
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 03:37 BST (UK) »

I have been trying to find the parents of my n x Great-grandfather (Thomas Chester) for years now and I figure it is about time I put my hand up for help.

What I know about Thomas is:

-   Married Alice Bowley on 19 May 1673 at Shepshed, Leicestershire, England. Alice was baptised at Shepshed on 13 Dec 1643, she was the daughter of Daniel Bowley (a mason) and Ann Stevenson (I have traced this branch back a bit). Alice Chester nee Bowley was buried at Belton (near Shepshed) on 8 Feb 1721.

-   Thomas was a churchwarden of St Botolph’s Church, Shepshed in 1861.

-   Thomas leased land around Shepshed (paying 11 pounds of rent in 1686) and owned 2 acres of land on Kirkhill in Shepshed. I gained this information from Graendon Estate rent rolls and the freehold land was referenced in the will of his son.

-   Thomas and Ann had three children, all born at Shepshed.
     o   Bridgett (1674 - ?) married William Bywater and had child Thomas 1699.
     o   Thomas (1678 – 1724) a mason, who married Ann Smalley and had children; Thomas 1704, Samuel, 1706, John 1707, Daniel 1709, Joseph 1711, Ann 1713, Sarah 1715, Mary 1717, George 1719, William 1720.
     o   Sarah (1682 – 1739) who married Samuel Smalley and had children; Samuel 1703, Ann 1705, John 1711, Thomas 1714, Mary 1716, William 1717, Abraham 1721.

-   Thomas was buried on 15 October 1720 at Belton (near Shepshed). He died intestate. The administration document stated that Thomas was from GraceDieu (near Shepshed) and the administrators were son Thomas, from Shepshed, and Thomas Morley, cordwainer of Shepshed.

Can anyone help me progress the pedigree of Thomas Chester? I live on the other side of the world (NZ).

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:48 BST (UK) »

Hi I have access locally to Shepshed / Belton records in our library. I live near these places. I am happy to have a rummage a
]
ErrorSPAM
   REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
(0, 0, 0)]round, however [/color]
my grandchildren are on half term this week so I may not have time this week.

Diddy
ps my daughter is in NZ.
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diddy.

Your daughter will be enjoying the weather warming up.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 09:59 BST (UK) »

yes we were due to be there this Christmas but cant come due to my health.

Do you know if there are gravestones for your Chesters at Belton? if so I can go take some pics - only few miles up road.

Diddy  ;)
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:35 BST (UK) »

just noticed you said Thomas was church warden in 1861??

but he died 1720 & son Thomas in 1724 so...…?????

Diddy x

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:42 BST (UK) »

there is a baptism on family search & FindMyPast:

Thomas Chester 23/8/1749 Shepshed no parents given

can look next time in.
Diddy

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Cripes.  My bad with the typing.  Thomas was a churchwarden at Shepshed in 1681 (not 1861).

I was in England 2 years ago and looked at the Belton Cemetery and talked with one of the church officials but there was nothing to be found. However, different story at Shepshed where Thomas' son (Thomas 1678 - 1724) has a gravestone sitting between gravestones of his children.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Ok ta.
I go to st Bots regularly to do band concerts.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 14:52 BST (UK) »

Hi had a root around.

Are you sure the death 1720 is your Thomas ? does administration doc give date?
Reason I ask is because PR record for Belton 1720 says:
Thomas Chester was buried    5      October 15   see attached.

Still no sign of Baptism but FH library was full of people on introduction to FH so difficult to access. will go in again next week BUT Library is closing Nov 5th - Jan 12th for changing to smart library grrrrr.. means no staff at times, Upsets me because I used to be a librarian!

Also got pics of Chester burial insciptions in Shepshed if needed (PM me)

Diddy  ;)