Author Topic: Fenlon Family from Wexford  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Zachary Fenlon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Fenlon Family from Wexford
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Zachary Fenlon. I'm from Montreal and I am currently in Ireland looking for some Fenlons. I know that my gg grandfather was Patrick Fenlon (1818-1902), married to Mary Carty in Wexford. I don't think that I am related to Michael Fenlon (The Father of all Fenlon's) but I could be wrong. My Great Grandfather was Bartholemew Fenlon (1867-1948), and from what I know, I believe that his siblings were: Patrick Jr., Michael, Elizabeth, Robert, Mary Ellen, Anastasia, and John. I've written out everything that I know on my family tree from the past 200 years and I would love to cross reference some information! I will be in Wexford County from Oct. 26th-28th If anyone wants to meet. Please feel free to contact me!  *

Thanks

*Moderator comment: Personal email address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange personal information.  New members need to make two or three posts in order to be able to access this system.  Thanks  :)

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Fenlon Family from Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
for reference Bartholomew was baptised in the catholic parish of Tagoat, County Wexford

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Name   BARTHOLOMEW FENLAN
Date of Birth   1867
Group Registration ID   7436705
SR District/Reg Area   Wexford
Sex   N/R
Mother's Birth Surname   N/R

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03462/2271482.pdf
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Civil Reg   Birth, Marriage and Death results for Fenlon of Wexford

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mvg/

from there you can select Births etc and 1800's etc.

If you look through them yourself then you can return as and when you make new discoveries and even add siblings etc which may lead to present day kin/cousins etc in locality
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 02:44 BST (UK) »
In 1875, your g...grandfather Patrick Fenlon remarried to Mary Condon. He gave his age as 46, suggesting he was born ca 1829, not 1818.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11223/8114302.pdf
His father's name is also given as Patrick Fenlon, a labourer, so that adds an extra generation to your family tree.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
OP: As you are probably aware, the chances of moving much further back than what you already know are challenging in the Tagoat area. That said, there are multiple extra pieces of information to be gleaned (e.g. previous post), and there are also possibilities elsewhere. In particular:
- Tagoat parish registers only start in 1853  :(
- No Fenlons in area in 1853 Griffiths valuation. Specific location of Tagoat is Grahormack. Note that Tagoat was/is a hamlet, and also the location of the parish church, hence the name of the Catholic parish, while Grahormack is the townland where Tagoat is located.
- That said, the Tagoat parish registers have 30 Fenlon births from 1867 to 1910, 6 marriages, and 7 deaths.
- First Fenlon entry in the Tagoat registers is the baptism of Bartholomew Fenlon on 6/10/1867. This very strongly suggests that the family only moved to the area around that time, from somewhere else?
- No Fenlons in the area in the 1833 Tythe valuations. Note that Grahormack is in civil parish of Rosslare, which is misfiled under St. Margarets.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Possible death of the earliest Patrick Fenlon, aged 80, in 1881, here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06420/4844194.pdf
Unfortunately, as the death was in the Workhouse, there is insufficient detail to be sure.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
As you state that Patrick Fenlon lived 1818 to 1902, it appears that you believe his death is that of this Patrick, aged 84, in 1902.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05701/4607734.pdf

However, this is **not** your ancestor. His address and occupation do not match that of your family.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 03:47 BST (UK) »
The death of your Patrick Fenlon (father of Bartholomew) appears to be in the Tagoat parish registers.
Also in 1902, coincidentally. Note that his age at death (73) gives a DOB of ca 1829, in agreement with the DOB deduced from the age given on the occasion of his remarriage in 1875.  Note also that he was buried in Ballybrennan graveyard. He lived in Tagoat, and there was/is a large graveyard surrounding the parish church right there. Yet he was buried elsewhere - must be a clue as to his origin, or that of his first wife. [Could be location where first wife buried?]  Finally, note that his place of death is also given - Wexford.

Name:    Patrick    Fenlon    
Date of Death:    13-Oct-1902   
Parish / District:    TAGOAT
Address:    Tagoat    
County:    Co. Wexford
Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Sex:    Male
Graveyard:    BALLYBRENNAN    

PRIEST LUKE DOYLE PP
HE DIED IN WEXFORD