Author Topic: Virginia marriage - Rev. William Nairn to Susanna Joell 1725-1727  (Read 2259 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Virginia marriage - Rev. William Nairn to Susanna Joell 1725-1727
« on: Thursday 18 October 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
Rev. William Nairn arrived in Bermuda about 1722 having succeeded to some land shares which had been left by the will of Nathaniel Rich for the support of a free school in Bermuda.  Pupils were to be sought from natives in, among other places, Virginia.

William Nairn served in two parishes in Virginia - King William's parish (Powhatan) at Manakintown and Henrico parish in the period 1727-1728.  He married Susanna Joell from Bermuda around 1725-1727.  One record suggests he may have been married in Virginia.  His first child Frances was born 28 Jul 1727 and baptised 2 Aug 1727.

Does anyone know if records exist for the two named parishes for this period?

Offline Spes Ultra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia marriage - Rev. William Nairn to Susanna Joell 1725-1727
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clontarf,

Can't help with the Virginia parishes, but there is some interesting snippets about Rev. William Nairn in the Fulham Papers in Lambeth Palace Library Vol XVII (Bermuda). 13-14
 "William Nairne to Bishop Gibson, Virginia April 29 1727. : Attributes his troubles to persecution by Governor Hope. He accuses one of the governor's supporters, an Irish tailor, of trying to murder him. He was sent to Bermuda by Bishop Robinson and served there for 5 years. Dissent is strong in the island. He took the oath (for the fifth time) before he left the island. He has been presented to the parish of Varna in Henrico County, Virginia".

Is he related to the John Nairn, rector of Stourmouth (1761) and Kingston (1769), who was born in Bermuda?

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Any idea where the Rev Nairn came from before Bermuda? I have a Nairn from Fife Scotland.

Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Would this site and this source help? I didn't look closely.

http://huguenot-manakin.org/

https://archive.org/details/annalsofhenricop00moor/page/n5

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 18 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all,

William Nairn was baptised 12 Jun 1696 in Barham, Kent.  He is the great grandson of Rev. David Nairn sometime curate of Swingfield and Paddlesworth in Kent from 1625 to 1665.  David's origins are unknown.  He was born about 1600 and is the earliest Nairn I have found in Kent.  When he was ordained in 1622 in Canterbury he had an MA, but not from Oxford or Cambridge, so there must be a good chance he is from Scotland.

William was the 5th of 8 children of Richard Nairn, maltster of Barham.  Rev. John Nairn rector of Stourmouth and Kingston is William's nephew, born 1728/29 son of William's elder brother John who was baptised 17 Apr 1688 at Barham.  Rev. John entered Cambridge University "from Bermuda", so he may have been born there, but there is no direct evidence for this.  However records in Bermuda show a John Nairn, gentleman, and his wife Elizabeth involved in litigation in 1726 and 1728.  I think these could well be Rev. John's parents.  I cannot find either of the births of Rev John Nairn or his sister Frances in English records, which lends weight to the idea they were born in Bermuda.

Other Bermuda litigation in 1725 by a Sarah Nairn who mentions her "sister Lawson" may record two other members of the family.  Rev. William Nairn had sisters Mary (b. 1687) and Sarah (b. 1692).  Mary may be the Mary Nairn who married Thomas Lawson in 1709 at Canterbury.  If so then at least 4 Nairn siblings have been in Bermuda in the 1720s.   This suggests to me the possibility their father Richard may have gone to Bermuda at some time.  I have no record of his death in England.

Rev William Nairn seems to have been a somewhat argumentative man!  On the ship from England in 1722 he was involved in "a quarrel in which Ensign Car was dangerously wounded, occasioned by expressions of disaffection to H.M. Person and Government" (did one of the disputants make reference to "elector George"?); and he took legal action in a dispute about his salary in Bermuda in 1728.

Thank you oldohiohome for the links.   The annals of Henrico mention a report to the Bishop of London in 1724 by the incumbent whose name has most unfortunately been torn from the manuscript of his report.  However he does say he has been in the parish for 14 years, so he may have been Rev. William Nairn's predecessor.  The next document for the parish is a vestry book commencing 28 Oct 1730, when Rev. William Nairn had returned to England - how frustrating!

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 18 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I need to re-frame my lookup request a little.

The Annals of Henrico book at archive,org was published in 1905.  Its list of incumbents has a gap from 1695 to 28 Oct 1730, and there is no mention of William Nairn in the book anywhere. As my previous post noted there are no documents available to the 1905 author between the 1724 report from the unknown incumbent, and the commencement of the Vestry book in 1730.

My reference for William Nairn's presence in Henrico comes from John K. Nelson: “A Blessed Company: Parishes, Parsons, and Parishioners in Anglican Virginia, 1690-1776”, University of North Carolina Press, 2001.  Appendix A from this book is a Biographical Directory of Virginia’s Anglican Parish Clergy, 1690-1776 with
Key:
1.   birth – place and date
2.   College or university – degrees(s)
3.   marriage(s)
4.   ordination (d=deacon, p=priest)
5.   Virginia parish posts
6.   ministry elsewhere
7.   nonclerical offices, affiliations
8.   death – place and date

p. 316
Nairn, William. 3. Yes. 5. Henrico (Henrico), 1727-28. 6. Bermuda, Eng. 7. Schoolmaster

The key for 3 is ambiguous - it could mean the clergyman's own marriage or, perhaps more likely, that there is evidence of the clergyman officiating at marriage ceremonies.  Whichever interpretation, clearly the 2001 author has access to a document unknown to the 1905 author which contains information about William Nairn's presence in the Henrico parish.

The 2001 book by John Nelson is not available in any library readily accessible by me, and the google books image does not include the bibliography.

So, failing anyone locating primary source material for the Virginia parishes, does anyone have access to Nelson's book in an American library?

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

Offline Spes Ultra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »

Do you think there can be any doubt that the "Mr Nairn" who has the quarrel on the ship and  wounds Ensign Car in August 1722 is the Rev William Nairn from Kent on his way to Bermuda?

I ask because it just seemed a little strange that a clergymen would go so far as to "dangerously wound" a soldier.     I'm also struck how the source (Calendar of State Papers (American and Indies)) refers to "Mr Nairn" rather than "Rev Nairn",   that it indicates that Mr Nairn was "intending to go to Jamaica etc" (rather than Bermuda),   and also that the instructions from Lord Carteret to the Duke of Portland (Governor of Jamaica) were to "order him [Mr Nairn] ashore" (which may or may not have happened).

My concerns may well be misfounded, but they just gave me pause for thought.   

On the other hand, the fact that Rev Nairn complains to Bishop Gibson in 1727 about having to take the oath five times before leaving Bermuda could suggest that there were reasons on the part of the Colonial authorities in Bermuda to question his commitment to the Hanoverian succession.

The fight with Ensign Car and the accusations of political disloyalty occurred in the same month as Bishop Atterbury (of Atterbury plot fame) was arrested - all suggestive of a period of heighted political sensitivity.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
May be something here. https://www.americanancestors.org/search/site-search?q=Virginia

I’m always a little disappointed by the fact much is transcripts not images but you never know.
But an email to them would probably let you know if there is anything anywhere

Or here

https://www.archives.gov

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 December 18 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Apologies in advance for a rather lengthy reply.
Part 1

It is not at all unusual for an Anglican clergyman in the 18th century to be addressed and referred to as “Mr”.   I have seen dozens of baptism entries for the children of clergyman where the father is named as “Mr X, clerk”. William Nairn’s own will identifies starts “I William Nairn of the Town and County of Poole Clerk …”

Think also of the character Mr. Collins in Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice”, written at the end of the century, about 1797.  The author, the Bennett family and even his noble patron, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, talk about him and address him throughout the book as Mr. Collins.  The only exception is in the first letter he writes to Mr. Bennett where he signs himself simply as William Collins.  Of course this is a work of fiction, but Jane Austen herself was the daughter of a clergyman, so would have been fully aware of how they were addressed.

Being a clergyman was no guarantee of being well behaved.  One of Rev. William Nairn’s three clergymen sons, John, was involved with his brother Capt Fasham Nairn in the notorious case of bribery in the Hindon election of 1779.

My reference for the dispute onboard ship comes from the “Historical Magazine of the Protestant Episcopal Church”, 1948, the full text of the paragraph talking of William Nairn being:

285-a WILLIAM NAIRN.  “Lord Carteret to Governor the Duke of Portland.  One Mr. Nairn is on board the ship with your Grace, intending to go to Jamaica et. He having been lately concerned in a quarrel in which Ensign Car was dangerously wounded, occasioned by expressions of disaffection to H.M. Person and Government, you are to order him ashoar (sic) etc. Signed, Carteret.”  [CSPCS, 1722-3, #269.]   Nevertheless, he must have eventually arrived in Bermuda, for he succeeded to some land shares which had been left by the will of Nathaniel Rich for the support of a free school in Bermuda, March 6, 1725. [CSPCS, 1724-5, #527.]  Mr Nearn appears on Virginia records a minister of Henrico (or Varina) parish Henrico County, in 1727-28, and at the same minister of the small (Huguenot) King William parish at Manakintown.   He returned to England in 1728 to a parish in Wiltshire.  (Brydon.)

I agree with the author that the man on the ship is the clergyman in Bermuda and Virginia.  Another work on Virginia clergy supports this account:

WILLIAM NAIRN, Elizabeth River Par. (Norfolk) Va., 1680; Ep.
WILLIAM NAIRN (perhaps the same), K.B. for Bermuda, 8 May 1722; sett. King William’s Par. (Powhatan) Va., at Mankintown, 1727-1728; sett. Henrico Par. (Henrico) Va., 1727-1728; ret. To a parish in Wiltshire, 1728; Hug.-Ep.
[Frederick Lewis Weis, “The colonial Clergy of Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina”, 1955, p.38]

These two William Nairns are not the same man.  The second was born in 1696 in Barham in Kent.  He was admitted sizar at Queens College, Cambridge University 24 Jun 1714 “of Kent”. There is no record of the first in Oxford or Cambridge universities, so like David the curate of Swingfield he may be a Scot.    If the two Virginia men are related then the nearest relationship would be that the older William is David’s brother and therefore the great great uncle of the second William.  That is all in theory – there is no evidence known to me to suggest it is actually the case.

The parish in Wiltshire was probably Berwick St Leonard. At various times Rev. William was also vicar of Hindon and Fonthill Bishop, and at the end of his life of Poole in Dorset.  At some time after 1739 he has written in the St Leonard’s register the birth dates and baptism dates of all nine of his children.  The eldest, Frances, was born and baptized in 1727 so must have been born in the Americas. 

William’s first wife Susanna was buried 29 Jun 1744 at Berwick St Leonard.  He remarried 11 Nov 1747 at Donhead St Andrew to Ann Bowles, daughter of the longtime rector of Donhead St Andrew, and in 1756 appears in a list of sufferers by the late fire at Hindon.  He made his will 14 May 1767 at Poole in Dorset, where he was then vicar, and presumably died there around 28 Jun 1676 (his successor at Poole was appointed 29 Jun) as his widow made her will there on 26 Nov 1767.  She was buried 9 Dec 1767 at Donhead St Andrew.

On reaching Bermuda, Rev. William Nairn appears to have been appointed as Rector in either Hamilton or Pembroke Tribe in 1722.  The next extract says the death of the man who appears to have been William’s predecessor was recorded in the Pembroke records.  But the later dispute over William Nairn’s salary was with the churchwardens of Hamilton tribe.

“The Rev. Wm. King does not appear to have been an incumbent until 1717.  …  The Pembroke Records show that his death occurred on the 16th. July and that he was buried at Crow Lane. The Rev. Wm. Nairn: On the 15th. February 1722 it was agreed that Mr. Nairn’s salary for six months be paid on the 10th March 1722.  This Rector chose John Tucker Churchwarden and the Parish chose Samuel Wingwood.  In 1724 Mr. Nairn nominated Samuel Sherlock Esq. as Vestryman, and he again chose John Tucker as Churchwarden in 1725.  He probably remained in the living until 1727 for in April there is a complaint from Mr Swift at not having been paid by the Vestry.”
[Bermuda Historical Quarterly – volumes 30-31 – Page xli]

cont..