Author Topic: JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Evelyne Stokes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811
« on: Thursday 18 October 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for my ancestor Jesse Richard Stokes, born in 1811 at Epping, Essex. He left England around 1828/1829 to Australia Van Diemen's Land. I suspect he was a convict but I didn't find him on the convict lists. He stayed in Van Diemen's Land  for 29 years, then went to Geelong and Ballarat in Victoria, Australia where he was a Horse dealer. I took a subscription to SEAX but didn't find anything about him. On his death certificate it's noticed that his parents were William or Richard Stokes and Ellen Savall. Your help would be very appreciated !
Kind Regards
Evelyne Stokes

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
When did he die?Was an obituary published?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that you look for Richard Jesse Stokes as he married (VIC AUS) as Richard and is mentioned as Richard Jesse Stokes on Trove.

1857 154 SINNETT Eliza to STOKES Richard

4th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5698308

Death:

1884 7829 STOKES Jesse Richard parents William and  Ellen (Savall) aged 73

All their children have father's name registered as Richard, also.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 18 01:47 BST (UK) »
Evelyne where did you get this information?

"Jesse Richard Stokes, born in 1811 at Epping, Essex. He left England around 1828/1829 to Australia Van Diemen's Land. I suspect he was a convict but I didn't find him on the convict lists. He stayed in Van Diemen's Land  for 29 years, then went to Geelong and Ballarat in Victoria."

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Evelyne Stokes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,
Thank you for your help. I know all the information about him here in Australia because Jesse Richard Stokes is the great great grand father of my husband. So we had information and pictures from the family but I have nothing from his youth and family in England and how and why he came in Australia. I know he spent more than 20 years in Van Diemen's Land and then he went to Victoria. He married Eliza Halse in Geelong, Victoria and then they went to Ballarat, Victoria. 
To Warncoort, Jesse Richard Stokes died in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. His grave is in Ballarat Cemetery.
Kind Regards
Evelyne Stokes

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 18 02:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, you say that you know that he was in Tassie, but where have you found that information?

Jamjar

Offline Evelyne Stokes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 18 02:51 BST (UK) »
To Jamjar: information came from some family members who live with him in Ballarat. Great uncles and cousins. Excepted the fact he spent time in Tasmania, nobody spoke about why he was over there and it is what I try to discover from England. If he was convict, maybe family members do not wanted to speak about it. This information about his time in Tasmania appeared also in the Ballarat Chronicle in an article about his son's 50th wedding anniversary Jesse Richard Stokes (same name).
If I have a doubt, I never put the information inthe family tree. I want it to be accurate. I saw so many mistakes on some websites!

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 October 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
A public tree on Ancestry has his death certificate,time in Tasmania 20 years and 35 years in Victoria.
Have you checked resources page for Tasmania to trace his arrival?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Evelyne Stokes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 October 18 04:10 BST (UK) »
To Warncoort: Yes I checked the resources ( passengers lists, convicts lists etc) of Tasmania but didnt find anything. Also I checked in New South Wales as some convicts arrived directly in NSW and after were sent in Tasmania but bad luck. It's why I decided to look at the source in England. He is born in 1811 and died in 1884 so at the age of 73. 73 - 55 years spent in Australia means he left England when he was 18 so in 1829. At that time Van Diemen's land was mainly used as prison.  Also the History of Van Diemen's Land says that convicts when free or with a pardon, were leaving Tasmania to Victoria because it was a free state. It is noticed that most of the convicts migrated towards cities as Geelong and Ballarat for Gold and also because Melbourne didnt want to have convicts in the city. Geelong and Ballarat are cities where Jesse Richard Stokes lived. I don't know if he was a convict but there is a possibility. I went on the Essex records but the Court Rolls of Epping Essex are not online. So I continue the research ! Thank you for your help